Archinect
anchor

Work culture in Danish architect studios

ET-architect

I'm a French architect and my wife is Scandinavian. As our small family is growing, we're looking at relocating to the Nordic countries.

I have six years of working experience from Paris, currently working for renzo piano. I would like to know how easy or difficult it is to find a job as an architect in Denmark? I don't speak Danish, but at piano's am used to traveling, working in English with an international team. Also, how do you find work-family balance in Denmark? How long are the working days? Can you stay at home if your child falls sick, for example?

My wife's a scholar at the university. A bit tired of the hectic Parisian life, we're looking for a place with an exciting scene in architecture and maybe a more enjoyable framework for everydaylife. Copenhagen is high on our list!

Thank you in advance for you advice!

Sep 9, 15 10:51 am
Vavi

Hey!

Currently working with a trial contract in a mid-sized architecture firm in Copenhagen. I have no family but i will try to describe you the situation from what i see in everyday basis from colleagues etc. Scandinavia and Denmark have one of the more work-life balance conditions in Europe -actually dont know what's going on outside Europe-. They emphasis a lot on their families and in good working conditions. They hate stressful situations and working overtime. This said, i can assure you that you will have more than enough time to bring and pick your kid at/from school. Many colleagues do so. You are flexible to work from home sometimes as well if needed. Most of the times you will work 09.00-17.00 but note that here most contracts are for 37working hours per week. This means that you either leave earlier on Friday or working a bit less each working day. Depends on the firm/contract/your needs.

I am presenting the 80% of the condition and of course there are exceptions in this rule. Most of them work with Rhino and Revit and i think that your experience in such a wellknown firm will give you the chance to take a position in one of the most international offices in copenhagen. Danish is not necessary -but appreciated- in big firms since there are many expats and the environment is international. 

Though there are many other aspects someone should take into account (lifestyle, cost, climate etc) especially when having a family...

For any further info do not hesitate to message/ask me!

Feb 23, 22 9:23 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Seven years, I hope they weren't hanging on for this advice.

Feb 23, 22 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Vavi

Just saw September 09 ignoring the year :P

Feb 24, 22 3:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: