Archinect
anchor

Rem Koolhaas, designing through writing?

kyleyiweng

I have been studying Koolhaas and his design process. There is indeed no clear style in his design but something that became really interesting is the fact he is said to design his architecture through his writings or books. At least that is what I can grasps from my research so far.

Is there any clear example of book or writing that he has written in order to design his buildings? 

Any help would really be appreciated :)

Sep 7, 15 12:28 pm

On Bullshit by Harry Frankfurt. Not by Rem but it will help you understand him.

Sep 7, 15 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

anyone remember which Rowe essay has him bitching about that fad of damn narrow rectangular plans . . . .?

Sep 8, 15 12:14 am  · 
 · 
kyleyiweng

@Miles, on bullshit seems good! I'll look into that!

Sep 8, 15 3:18 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

lets not forget on bullshit is a theory text from, ahem, princeton, birth-place of the IAUS, the veritable birth-place of the theoretical architectural landscape.

wigley? princeton

colomina? princeton

zaera-polo? princeton

thanks for the support, miles.

didnt know your bent was theory.

say hi to jacques and michel for me, bb.

Sep 8, 15 5:02 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I wouldn't say that there is any one writing or essay where Koolhaas elucidates the design process for a single building. They tend to be rather larger in scope, covering urbanism, building typology, the scope of architecture, etc...

If you need a place to start, I would recommend S,M,L,XL for a look at how his design process and thinking can be applied to various scales. 

You may actually find more direct representation of design process in writing by looking at the essays accompanying some of his "children's" recent publications - REX, BIG, MVRDV, etc...

Sep 8, 15 8:46 am  · 
 · 
kyleyiweng

Thanks so much for sharing! Archanonymous and quondam, you guys really help wrap bit and pieces up!

Sep 8, 15 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: