Archinect
anchor

MLA applicant - portfolio questions

agrocks123

Hi all!

I am in the process of applying to a few first-professional MLA degree programs across the country and I am preparing my portfolio. My background is in Urban Economic & Retail Planning with most course work being in the social and economic realms of planning. By this I mean that I haven't had much coursework in design. I have taken drawing and painting classes, along with a few architectural design courses at Syracuse University, however the majority of my portfolio material will be that which is not directly related to the field of landscape architecture itself -self portraits, still life paintings, model making etc.. I want to be able to prove that I have the artistic skills necessary to pursue this degree however, I am having trouble connecting that which I have created with what my purpose in studying LA is... I am looking at the field from a public-purpose perspective. I want to design parks and public use spaces to regain a sense of community in places that have lost it. 

any suggestions???

Thanks!

Sep 1, 15 2:19 pm
3tk

Which MLA path? 2 or 3 yr?  I'm assuming 3yr, in which case it's about potential (that is to say, they don't really care about design projects).  The portfolio should be well composed (think graphic design / book design), some text, but well laid out images.

The why you want to get an MLA at that particular program should be in your recommendation letters and essay.  The portfolio can be sympathetic to the work that is produced at a program, but it's not the main avenue to present the 'why' to a school.

Sep 2, 15 10:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: