Archinect
anchor

One year courses

Narcus
What are some good one year masters courses at the top universities like MIT Harvard etc. I know of MDes at GSD and MITCre.

Aug 31, 15 10:41 pm
Non Sequitur
Masters in what, interior decorating?
Sep 1, 15 6:34 am  · 
 · 
Revolt+Remember

if you're only looking at the top universities then it won't exactly be an exhausting search you're undertaking. Seriously? You can research this in 1/2 an hour...

Sep 1, 15 9:20 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Dude, there's a really awesome website you can type that exact question in and find super helpful results! It's called Google. Check it out when you get a moment.
Sep 1, 15 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Narcus

Yes I did find many, but most people look down on these, so I was hoping to find out if any of you know of some good ones, which have good Return of investment on them? Or are generally good. Im interested in Real estate management, urban planning, robotic assembly and computation.

Sep 2, 15 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I hear university of phoenix online is good... at least that's what my spam folder tells me.

Sep 2, 15 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Look for executive courses. Those are short and tailored to specific interests usually very practice oriented. Have to say you're all over the place. Real estate management and robotic assembly and computation? Really? What is robotic computation? I don't think you even know what that means. Definitely no big ROI on that for sure, same for urban planning. Did you just pick up a recent copy of architect magazine and decide that these completely unrelated fields are personally interesting to you? What is it you hope to *contribute* not *take* from pursuing any of these interests? Do you have significant previous experience in any of them? Do you have some kind of knowledge to contribute to these fields and professions that is new and original? This sounds like a child's wish list and not someone invested in doing a rigorous study into these completely unrelated areas.
Sep 2, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Narcus

Below are the degrees in talking about the my exposure to them, but the interests and practicality does differ. While Real estate and urban planning have good ROI (hopefully), robotic assembly and computational design have unsure future. Do note, I have to work as a freelance/start-own-firm architect 3 years from now.

1. Smarch Computation at MIT: Its a good course closely associated to Media Labs, in design computation. Worked in ETH, found it interesting but again not a lot of applicability unless working at Zaha, OMA or as a professor.

2. Robotic Assembly at SCIARC,AA,Stuttgart: Again not much practical application. ETH under Gramazio and Kohler. 

3. Real Estate Management: This is definitely useful for a market like China and India, but then again they dont take people easily. And I dont know which ones are good.

4. And finally Urban Planning: worked under Urban think tank, but am not sure how relevant and useful it turns out. I did have a few electives on this and frankly I do find it boring, but it may be a immature judgement. Like you @rob_C many have discourages urban planning, which is also why I am perplexed. 

Sep 4, 15 12:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: