Archinect
anchor

off the grid

JLC-1

go wank somewhere else

Aug 31, 15 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i kind of thought this was an unsuccessful ramble but its panning out quite nicely.................I like where rob_c was heading with the Entrpeneur bit and nice qoute sideman.........unamano, are you an Archinect regular causing trouble under another name? its not eocket science to digure out Olaf' s creator, it appears though if you do not know how use google it would be a challenge..... to be Frank wright about it the poor discussion isnt all that interesting - sideman's point is a lot more interesting. tallking about being unfortunate (poor) has its benefits, but thats not the problem is it?

Aug 31, 15 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

based on sideman's qoute, would Airbnb, Uber, kickstarter, etc.....be todays equivalent of an American past? and holy shit if that is what Trumps hats mean! hahaha schemerkon of cnn or whatever your name is, how you like them apples?

Aug 31, 15 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

so Unamano I use the google and Friedrich Nietzsche say about 'greed' - Possessions are usually diminished by possession...................

Aug 31, 15 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

was that.....

was that....

phil donahue? 

Aug 31, 15 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

Can anyone define what is a greed?

Taking more than you need. Not sharing. Negotiating every transaction. Taking what isn't yours. Putting yourself ahead of everyone else.

I am sure Miles and even Olaf grew up in nice suburbs.

Not that it's any of your business, but to correct your blatant stupidity and ignorant asumptions: I lived in a closet in my fathers office at 125 East 80th St. That was after we moved out of the office he shared with another architect where we slept on a fold-out couch.

Aug 31, 15 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

I am very sorry if I offended anyone, It was not what I wanted.

as for those;

Taking more than you need

How does one know what one needs and who is that one who knows better what one needs?

Not sharing

Is there a moral obligation to share? and if it is one who makes sure how much should one share and who with?

Negotiating every transaction

It is one's right to do so

Taking what isn't yours

What is mine is mine, "I" don't take anything anyone's, I earn it, but I knew one social model, which you all admire here, that took many many things that belong to other people including their lives... (including my great grandparents lives)

Putting yourself ahead of everyone else

Sure, why shell one not putt him/herself ahead of everyone else?

Sep 1, 15 7:56 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

so you just keep repeating 'what does greed mean?' until someone tells you it's ok for you to be greedy?  presumably so you can feel good about yourself?

since you're putting yourself first, we'll all put ourselves ahead of you.  what do you suppose that means in a community?  we're free to take from you just as you think you're free to take from us, and we don't give a shit about you because you don't give a shit about us.  that kind of makes you a bad person and you should feel bad.

a lot of us here really are decent people deep down, which means we work together to help each other prosper, even if it sometimes it means we don't get to take everything for ourselves, or if it means we may even make personal sacrifices for the benefit of other people. 

Sep 1, 15 10:46 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

possessions are usually diminished by possession......thats Nietzsche Unamano and what precedes it as illustrative text on why humans rui every paradise they take over........to a philosopher Greed is a desire and a desire is an emotional urge. do all urges need to be fulfilled? and is fulfilling all urges happiness? and is happiness the goal of being a alive? the negativity that comes with the word greed is clear. beyond its social ramifications it can also be self-destructive.............btw which system are we admiring that killed your grandparents? this isnt clear.

Sep 1, 15 11:22 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

reactionary anger ingrained in a child to hate the soviet union = child grows up and advocates for greedy masters that don't love him as much as he loves money (and shiny things), child becomes a sour resented adult without any social connections or networks, isolates himself, goes off-grid.....still don't have any possessions, but would kill for your right to have anything you want at any cost.                   Not sure how this ends. sometimes the puppets are way worse than their masters, maybe it's by design.

Sep 1, 15 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Greed is never satisfied.

Sep 1, 15 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Is there a moral obligation to share? Yes, if one wants to be a member of a society, there is.

I'm reminded of two things: the very end of Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle; I think the final line is "He held out his hand." or similar, it was incredibly moving.

And the same idea but in a very humorous way, George Costanza's frustrated screaming "You know we're living! in a society!" when a woman cuts in front of him to use the pay phone.

Sep 1, 15 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

F. Scott Fitzgerald: "The rich are different from you and me.." Ernest Hemingway: "Yes, they have more money." Fitzgerald commenting on some mystical property the rich are supposed to have, and being brought to earth by Hemingway.

Sep 1, 15 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

^^^Donna

I invoked Costanza once;  I was at a baseball game, we were all patiently standing in line at a food vendor.  An impatient woman, with two teen children in tow, sees the line yet moves right up to the Pick-Up window and somehow gets someone to begin take her order.  I got heated up, proceeded to let her know where the line ended, if she wished to order:  "Society has rules."

Sep 1, 15 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

jlc-1 so what does this angey person do while off the grid? lets sat you are off it long would you miss anything after a while?.............like walking out of a movie theatre into a mall, I imagine thats probably more like it?

Sep 1, 15 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: