Archinect
anchor

Advice on light diagrams and window placement

kec601

Hello architects!

As a non-architect, I hope I'm not boring you all with my ignorance. I really could use the advice of someone competent. 

I'm currently hashing out some blueprints to express my rather specific design ambitions, but I'm hung up on lighting. I'm a window lover, but direct light makes my partner's head hurt. 

In my quest to appease us both, I've discovered light diagrams, but I'm at a loss as to how to start making my own. I wasn't able to find anything on google. 

What I'm specifically wondering, is how I might be able to angle my windows, or place them strategically, so as to get ambient natural light without having to get a faceful of the glaring Indiana sun. I'm not opposed to curtains, but I want to start off with a sound architectural design. 

I plan to look in to different window materials that I might be able to use to diffuse sunlight, but I thought this would be a more foundational starting point from a learning perspective.

• Does anyone here have any examples or suggestions of how to place windows so as to minimize glare?
  • Does anyone know of any good books guides that describe the process of building a light diagram? Or else, is the process simple enough that someone could describe it to me here?

PS: We will hire an architect in the end obviously, but I like art, and I find architecture to be very fascinating. This is a seriously fun project for me, and I'd like to learn enough to have an educated perspective for my eventual consultation. 

Also, (and I hope I'm not embarrassing myself), after slogging through a couple of very limited free 3D softwares, and sketching a view blueprints by hand...I've taken my work to the sims 3. So as I'm probably not using any kind of software a qualified professional would use, I'd like to learn how to do these by hand. 

Aug 28, 15 7:15 pm
SneakyPete

Sketchup is an easy (and free) way to import your site from Google Earth and build directly on it. It can then show you the direct sun angles. Indirect sun it doesn't do, but it's a step towards what you're looking for.

Aug 28, 15 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
kec601

Oops....

Is there any way to delete a post? I pressed the back button in my browser to try to find my post again, and I accidentally posted this twice. 

Thats really cool SneakyPete! I didn't know sketchup could do that! We haven't picked out a site yet, but I think we're going to look soon. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip!

Aug 28, 15 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i would say read up on light shelves and louvers.  you could do a pergola type thing outside the window to reduce some of the glare that gets in.  there are probably options with prismatic glass or window films that would reduce glare but also obstruct your view.  deciduous trees or planted walls can be quite nice to let light in during winter but provide shade during summer.

Aug 28, 15 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
kec601

Wow, thanks curtkram! I've looked up everything you've suggested and I think I have some new inspiration now. I didn't think to use landscaping to tone down the summer sunlight, and I'd never even heard of louvers. I think I've seen some pergola-like designs on Mediterranean style houses, but I never knew what they were for. Thanks a ton for the insight!

Aug 28, 15 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

kec601, my advice would be to contact an registered/licensed architect local to your area.  be sure to ask if he/she is a registered architect and ask to see a copy of their license.  if they tell you they are a member of the AIA that does not mean they are a registered architect by the way.

if you show your plans to an architect and tell them about your lighting concerns they can utilize their years of experience to help you do something really amazing that would satisfy you and your partner's concerns.  good luck.  

Aug 28, 15 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
kec601

rob_c,

I do plan on doing that in the end! I would just like to have gone as far as I can on my own before I consult my architect. 

Aug 29, 15 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: