Archinect
anchor

Which architectural engineering textbook to start designing with?

Tuvoblong

I have 180 use and would like it to be digital.  I'm not yet a student, but would like a e-book (preferably) that I can start designing accurate, feasible buildings with.

Aug 27, 15 11:19 am
senjohnblutarsky

First, be a student.

The attitude that you can just take a book and start designing buildings says you are, in no way, ready to design a 'feasible' building.

I have been at this for over 6 years and still question myself almost daily. I will probably continue to do so for years to come.

Aug 27, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

da fuk is 180 use?

You don't need no books to know how to design buildings. Just put a bunch of squishy swirls on a page and call it a day. The guys on site will figure out all the difficult details and you can take the rest of the week off and relax on your yacht.

Aug 27, 15 11:58 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

shit man, who needs books?  

Here is an idea:  conceive an accurate feasible building and will it into existence.

Like reading some textbook on architecture is going to teach you all that...it is a lifelong pursuit bro...if you aren't in it for the long haul, jump ship.

Aug 27, 15 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

Start with this, tell us when you've figured out this issue. Comes up in designing feasible buildings all the time.

Aug 27, 15 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Tuvoblong

I meant usd instead of use, the spellcheck changed it

Aug 27, 15 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Try Shaping Structures: Statics by Zalewski and Allen. You can absolutely get through it by yourself, and if you do, you'll know more about structures than most people who learned the subject in architecture school.

Aug 27, 15 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Tuvoblong

Thanks, anonitect!

Aug 27, 15 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

180? Fuck books. Buy yourself a copy of Rhino 5.0 for students and start going through youtube tutorials. Model your house in as much detail as possible. Then the building across from you. And the one next door.

You'll thank me later.

Aug 27, 15 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470436271.html

I've worked at a structural engineering office, and the S.E.s use this too

also learn to write programs to articulate this stuff - architects that can write code and perform engineering will be be more valuable than your average wall pusher(BIM wit).

Aug 30, 15 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: