Archinect
anchor

Should I give up going to US for my graduate degree?

doarch

It is not like I am giving up.. I stil have a lot of application to do before the deadline and I'm willing to do it with the best I could..

I had taken my GRE exam a week ago with score only 150V158Q3W..  Two years before that I had 144V/161Q/3W and got rejected on every school that I had applied to.. (Berkeley, Yale, GSD, GSAPP, UCLA).

I'm not a native English speaker, and not a student with a very bright brain.. Although I had my undergraduate GPA of 3,9/4, I do not think it will affect my application.. It was so hard to memorize all those vocabulary.. I learn it on every spare time I had, in car, in bathroom , before sleep, for almost 5 months.. And, I admit I'm kind of dissapointed in the result..

My toefl score is 106, so I don't think that would be any problem,,(before I only got 97)

But retaking GRE surely will bring a lot of hardwork to me , I must study again and take the exam again while the deadline for most of US school is in the middle of December.. i still got portfolio and other applications to do..

I told my family this will be my last chance to apply for graduate school in US.. while my friends already started their own business in design and build firm.. Lately, my father always told me to start making money instead of preparing and preparing for school, although he will support me to the fullest if I wanted to continue my study.. But this last 2 years has been a very dull moment, studying hard just for an application? While good english itself does not guarantee your admittance..

Aug 26, 15 2:42 am
bpete

Your test scores are only one component of your application. Focus on having a good portfolio, essays and whatever else the applications require, and those pieces can help to make up for your scores. [At least that's what many admissions people claim.] Your time may be better spent on creating an impressive portfolio than retaking the GRE.

Aug 26, 15 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Kooooo

GSD website states "The average GRE scores for the Fall Class of 2015 were 157 for the verbal, 159 for the quantitative, and 4.0 for the analytical writing sections." This means a half of accepted students had scores lower than 157/159/4. It also means your previous score was fine and it was not the reason they did not accept you. 

Aug 28, 15 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
If you want it. You have to fight for it. Nothing will ever be given to you from moping about the Internet. And stop being a brand whore. There's plenty of other excellent architecture schools in america. Go to the NAAB website and find more schools to apply to. Try Ohio and Michigan. Both states have really awesome architecture schools that frankly are far more interesting than the ones you've applied to. But you'll have to actually read up on them to know why.
Aug 28, 15 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
Yea I think you should look at other schools. Like Rob said with Ohio and Michigan. Check out UIUC and Syracuse, U Cincinnati, U Washington plus others that are pretty reputable other than your top brand names. You defiantly have a shot if you have a decent portfolio. Maybe post your work and portfolio up so archinect can give you some feedback .
Aug 29, 15 12:43 am  · 
 · 
doarch

Guys,  Thank you for your encouragement.. I'll definitely try my best!

I admit I'm too stuck with brand names and not consider other school which also have good reputations.. I'll definitely try other schools too for this time!

Sep 6, 15 12:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: