Archinect
anchor

Single family to multi family architecture

leshellem

I have been practicing residential architecture, the majority single family homes. I'm leaving my current job and have an interview for a firm that does multifamily commercial architecture. I'm looking for information on what some of the differences are between residential and multifamily commercial and what are some of the skills I have doing residential that I can apply to the commercial side. Thanks so much.

Aug 25, 15 9:13 pm
Brud-G

For starters you will need to "learn" the Building Code, ANSI A117.1, Section 504 if federal funding is part of these projects. Sprinkler systems are required in multi-family- you will need to know the difference between NFPA 13 and 13R and when it makes sense (feasible) to use one or the other.

The required accessibilty items are a major part of any multi-family design

Aug 26, 15 8:51 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

You always want to know ANSI 117.1 in multifamily (in NYC at least). If it's rental, accessibility guidelines apply. If it's a condo, you need to make sure that FHA will back the buyer loans.

Aug 26, 15 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Null is right, it’s a code thing and can be complicated to learn, also shear walls come into play…other than that it’s sticks’n-bricks.

Aug 26, 15 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

fire separations to other buildings and between the units vertically and horizontally, distances to imaginary lines, travel distances, egress, interior clearances, height and building areas just to get you started....

Aug 26, 15 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Acoustical privacy, BOMA standards.

Aug 26, 15 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Podium slabs, parking garages,building drops, max. occupancy calcs, parking (1.5 cars per unit), firelanes, percentage of porous surfaces to site....it is a lot different than single family residents. This type of construction can take away from the art of architecture too. It is more about jamming as much as possible onto the site and trying to max out revenue while dancing around with the codes and playing duck duck goose. Can be a stressful game.

Aug 27, 15 8:50 am  · 
 · 
trail.runner

Hi, I'm finding myself in the same predicament - moving to multi family or staying in single family residential. Which did you end up choosing? Are you happy with your choice?

Apr 2, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

Carrera,

Depending on where you are (seismic zone), shear walls may and do come into play even for single family residential. 

Aside from that, you are right that it is a code thing and which applies to project location. 

Poop876 is right in what he wrote in August 26.

Apr 3, 16 12:36 am  · 
 · 

trail.runner,

I'm a building designer so I will design any building a client would pay me to design that is exempt from requiring an architect license.

Therefore, if someone wants to develop multi-family residential, I'll do that.

DeTwan is more or less right about what he said as MFRs tends to use the IBC vs the IRC code. I worked with both codes which includes commercial. It's a different game in some ways. There is also the zoning and how to comply with both because sometimes one requires more parking than the other for example. How do you address these issues for example. Which applies or which has precedence.

What I know is that when a project is real, no one except us gives a shit about the 'art of architecture' as no one gives a shit about the 'art' as people don't value art financially which basically means they don't value it. They care about $ not how it feels because they don't feel or hold any emotion when it comes to buildings. They just don't experience or feel emotional about the spaces inside buildings. Then again, when the only time people are there is when they are sleeping why would they give a shit. 

All they practically need is a bedroom and a bathroom and a spot for a fridge and a table a few cabinets, a sink  and a few chairs and that's about it aside from a microwave and maybe a cook top and a spot for a TV and a bed. That's about it.

They work too much to care.

Apr 3, 16 12:54 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Maximum stories with cheapest construction type. ROI is important for your owner/developer so getting cost of each unit vs rent is important. Sometimes this means 1 - 4 stories in wood, other times higher than 4 w mixed construction type, other times w type 2b or better construction type.
Apr 3, 16 10:31 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  In addition to all the code issues, you need to adjust your concept of scale.  You don't have the luxury of wasted space in an apartment that you have with a detached house.  You have to be very efficient in the use of space.  Furniture placement in rooms counts more than ever.

Apr 4, 16 9:27 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Be fluent with ADA , structural, MEP, landscape and civil coordination

also its very fast paced - lots of hours - its all about maximizing ROI for the investors and you will learn that you just cant build Below Market units just because everyone in town wants them - 

Apr 4, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Ignore Richard. He thinks this website is buildingdesignect.com

Apr 4, 16 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Oh Richard, when did you last work on a multifamily building?

Apr 4, 16 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

What is the code difference between R-2 and R-3? Not all that much. Not like the difference between A-1 and R-3.

In the codes, they have pictures to illustrate the code requirement. There is also this book from Francis d.k. Ching that illustrates the code requirements as well as some other sources.

Yes, that's sarcasm.

Apr 4, 16 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

"I'm a building designer so I will design any building a client would pay me to design that is exempt from requiring an architect license.

Therefore, if someone wants to develop multi-family residential, I'll do that."

Since when is multi-family residential exempt from requiring an architect Rick?  Are you saying you've designed a multi-family project in less than 4000 square feet or whatever that Oregon rule is? Or is this one of your projects in American Samoa?

Apr 4, 16 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

Since when is multi-family residential exempt from requiring an architect Rick? 

Since 1919 would be my guess if it is under the size rule for Oregon. Don't forget that the laws that applies is the laws of the state where the project is located. Just across the river is Washington where multifamily dwellings of any size up to 4 dwelling units.

In Oregon, the rule is ground area and 20-ft height. So in fact, it is very possible to do two stories for around 6000 to 6500 sq.ft. of floor area but still meet the 4000 sq.ft. ground area.

In other states, the number of units can vary greatly.

PS: It doesn't matter where I am. 

Apr 4, 16 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

And how many multi-family projects have you worked on?

Apr 4, 16 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Omg.  Another thread about Rick!  

Apr 4, 16 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

I wouldn't tell you anyway. I also don't need to do the project a dozen times to get it. You should figure it out the first time.

Apr 4, 16 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Rick, I work in Multi-family residential. You certainly do not get it the first time. Every project has its differences. Stop pretending to be an architect, or the archimafia is gonna provide you with some concrete accessories. Or something.
Apr 4, 16 10:21 pm  · 
 · 

Josh,

I'll try not to respond with a snipe. What I mean by getting it done right the first time is you don't EVER submit building plans to a building department without checking your work. Clients give one and ONLY one chance. You are suppose to know what you are doing BEFORE you accept the project. The theory is, of course.

So the trick is making sure you get the deliverables are correct the first time. You do that by checking the codes. If I need to design an MFR, I can get this correct the first time for permit submission. The only way to do that is check the requirements BEFORE you submit. 

If I was to design an MFR, the plans are submitted only AFTER I am 100% certain the plans are correct to the code requirements that is applicable. If the code requires 1-hr. fire rated fire partition wall then you make sure you use a wall assembly that is 1 hour or more rated. You can go with CMU if you have to. That's going to be at least 2 hrs if not 3 hour rated. 

floor assembly and barrier rated are trickier but there is plenty of assembly techniques to achieve the desired result aside from using a non-combustible floor assembly. As you know, an apartment unit is basically a speculative dwelling unit. You design like a small dwelling like rented ADUs but difference is you are clustering multiple "ADUs" into a single structure and have to have a fire partition wall separating units and use sprinklers per code requirement.

Basic functions of an apartment is basically the same as an apartment while there are some different code requirements to be met. Otherwise, they aren't all that much different.

You have to be optimal like you would one of those Tiny Houses like that of Sarah Susanka but just each dwelling unit shares at least one wall with another.

As the typical apartment would be under 800 sq.ft.

Apr 5, 16 12:59 am  · 
 · 
poop876

'What is the code difference between R-2 and R-3? Not all that much. " Obviously you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about, but we all know that! If you are looking at chings illustration to come to that conclusion then you should stick to your deck design. Get the fuck out and stop ruining this forum!

Apr 5, 16 3:01 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I laughed hard when he said

"What I mean by getting it done right the first time is you don't EVER submit building plans to a building department without checking your work. Clients give one and ONLY one chance. You are suppose to know what you are doing BEFORE you accept the project."

Piss off mate.

Apr 5, 16 3:27 am  · 
 · 

poop876,

YAWN! 

Considering the requirements have basically been there for 30+ years and it's well documented. Don't you think there is plenty of illustrative examples which you would essentially transfer into the drawings for the building ?

Apr 5, 16 4:06 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Richard you are so clueless, naive, inexperienced, dumb, moronic, full of shit, a cause of pollution to the internet, and just plain stupid. Given that you are not a licensed Architect (clearly) it is illegal for you to represent your mornic and naive interpretation of building code. You are worse than a CAD monkey and worse than a monkey you are yourself. If you were a bot I would show respect, but given you are human - I think cashier at McDonalds or greeter at Walmart are the jobs you shoukd aspire to. You clealry lack the intelligence to read building code let alone draw. something. have a good day.

Apr 5, 16 7:16 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Just remember guys, Balkins once told me that a residential high rise should be constructed using a steel structure (not reinforced concrete)....

Apr 5, 16 7:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Sir Dickstrom Balkarinochio strikes again. Dude my wife's kindergarten class knows more about buildings than you.
Apr 5, 16 7:53 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

null, i believe Richard's goal is to pollute the internet with so bullshit on architecture that someone somewhere may accidently qoute him some day and he will get credentials.

Apr 5, 16 7:54 am  · 
 · 
Rick, you should have responded with a snipe. It would have been much more coherent.
Apr 5, 16 8:40 am  · 
 · 

"basic functions of an apartment is basically the same as an apartment."

Rick, this is getting ridiculous.

Apr 5, 16 8:57 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Rick where do you find the illustrative 30 year old examples that show you what to "basically transfer into the drawings" to meet things like EUI requirements, daylighting requirements of the energy code, or assembly requirements of NFPA 285?  Those and many, many more code issues that aren't required on single-family projects come into play on multi-family.  You may (or may not) have worked on some single-family residential addition/renovations, but your comments in this thread are proof all on their own that you've never worked on a multi-family building.

I have yet to see any proof that you've ever submitted anything to a building department.  I've asked you about that a couple times before and you've skirted around the issue with claims about client privacy and your lack of access to a scanner and....  If you've ever submitted anything to a building department that's public record - all you need to say is when and where.

Apr 5, 16 9:37 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

z1111 that might be proof Balkins is a bot. what if ricki was a bot based on years of Archinect thread discussions.....

Apr 5, 16 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Olaf, either that or he is the Yogi Berra of Archinect.

Apr 5, 16 10:26 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

"Sound transfer" is a biggie too that I don't think anyone had mentioned.... I don't know if it was an issue 30 yrs ago, it may be new to some people....

Apr 5, 16 10:37 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Richard, post ANYTHING you have designed, provided construction documents and submitted for a building permit! Anything! Fuck off, because we all know you have NOTHING, but just bunch of nonsense talking which....I don't even know what it means most of the time!

Apr 5, 16 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

I don't put construction documents online. It's one of those things you just don't do for protection of copyrights. Those involving actual permit documents for clients (custom home or other buildings).

As for pre-drawn house plans and possibly other residential type buildings (speculative type drawings), I can prepare plans more or less for permit submission conditions. Even then, I would be hesitant to have the construction documents for such buildings online without you going through a 'pay wall'. 

Copyright protection requires control over distribution of copyrighted content. More significant to that is the liability protection.

Apr 5, 16 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Since you've been posting on here, all we hear is excuses, from NOT finishing school, from NOT moving out of your parents house, from NOT posting any work.....list goes on and on. You don't see anything wrong with that?

Trust me, YOU or even me, or any of our peeps on here don't have to worry about copyrights. It's just you it seems like that is absurdly obsessed about copyright, licensure and law.

Apr 5, 16 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky Balcapacino. You can't post because you have nothing to post.

Apr 5, 16 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

I didn't ask you to put anything online.

I asked:

1. Have you ever worked on a multi-family residential design project?

2. Have you ever submitted any project that you have designed for review by a building official?  If so when and where? 

3. Can you provide 30 year old illustrative examples that meet or closely pertain to the currently required code required EUIs, NFPA 285 assemblies, and daylighting for multi-family buildings?

Apr 5, 16 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty,

I didn't reply to you.

Apr 5, 16 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Why not?

Apr 5, 16 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Non Sequitur, 

ANY custom building design projects, I do NOT post online those projects. It's to so they do not get bothered by unsolicited phone calls or mail in connection with their home. The point is a new home should be a HOME and to extent a sanctuary of domestic privacy.

Apr 5, 16 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, my point still stands.

It's impossible to believe you've completed anything worthy with the high level of ignorance you portray here.

Apr 5, 16 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Uh, dude. Remove the contact info. Remove the street names.

If someone finds the site based on the limited topo info found on a site plan, then they're smarter than the average creep.

You always have an excuse.

Apr 5, 16 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Hmm... so when you run out of ways to wriggle out of a question you just don't respond?  I didn't think you could get any less credible but that sure does it.

Apr 5, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

thats when the Balkins bot shuts down. you know 0/0. ask Siri.

Apr 5, 16 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: