Archinect
anchor

2016 M.Arch in the US: Applicants -Admissions prep post here!

architect_hp

23/ F / International (Indian) / Recently finished 5-yr B.Arch degree programme in India 

Applying for M.Arch II this fall

GRE 157  Quantitative / 153 Verbal / 4.0

GPA 8.3/10 | 3.3/4

1 Yr internship experience while in school - One at a major/large organization and one at a smaller office, Looking for a job now to get some experience

Schools im interested in: GSAPP, Taubman, Pratt, Parsons, UIllinois Urbana-Champaign, UTexas A&M

Undecided about: Harvard GSD / Yale / MIT /Cooper Union/ Cornell AAP (Will probably apply to one of these...I'm considering the YSOA Dual Degree - M.Arch + MBA)

Portfolio: 20% / Will post a link when I have a draft ready to go. Earlier version undergoing changes at the moment  

LOR: 70% / LORs: 1 from former professor/thesis studio guide, 1 from former employer, 1 from future employer

SOP: 5% (I have initial ideas. Need to draft it out)

Transcripts: 10% (Need to update transcripts and get further documentation from my university)

Any tips/comments/suggestions or sharing of experiences would be really helpful.

Best wishes to all fellow applicants!!

Aug 20, 15 7:05 am
no_form
You got in to sci arc and Cincinnati already. Two perfectly good schools that would set you up for a successful career anywhere. Both with great networks. Why are you wasting your time, your professors' time, your present and future employers time, and your money to reapply to now you say, even more schools. Not to mention you've wasted an entire year of time that could have been spent earning your degree.
Aug 20, 15 9:56 am  · 
 · 

I agree that they're good schools and it wasn't an easy decision to make. But SCI ARC was working out to be too expensive for me and I really want to give Michigan another shot as I'm very keen on Taubman. Along with that, I thought I'd try out at these other schools too. Since I was in my final year at the time, I restricted myself from applying to more than four schools. 

Aug 20, 15 10:11 am  · 
 · 
no_form
FYI all those schools are sci arc level prices or more. Taubman last time I checked was $50k annual for tuition, probably more for international. Also those other east coast schools are even more selective. Since you're not rich you may want to apply to what we call "safety schools" here in the U.S.
Aug 20, 15 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Driko
I would say still go for those east coast schools if you know one 100% that you want to attend one of them. They are just as costly as sci arc but I think you need to be happy with your investment.
Aug 20, 15 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
P.s.

I went to UIUC. It seems some pretty promising things are happening at that school now. They recently added a moreover and a 6axis arm to their fab lab.
Aug 20, 15 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you for the comments!

rob_c, I get what you're saying...but I felt that my investment would make more sense if I went to an east coast school. I understand that they're selective but if I get in, it would be worth the chance (atleast I think so). And Driko, I read about the newer developments at UIUC....the fab lab sounds great! 

Getting back to the prep part - I'm kinda doubtful about how I should steer my SOP....is the key thing to bring out your ideas and aspirations or speak with reference to the school i'm applying to? Are there any pointers someone can give me in this regard? Are there particular characteristics that each school looks for in the SOP? I just want to find out how to improve my SOP from last time...

Aug 23, 15 5:10 am  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

25/ F / Indian / B.Arch 5 year degree

Applying for MS Urban Design / Environment Design Fall '16

GRE 161  Quantitative / 161 Verbal / 4.5 (tentative according to ETS mock test)

GPA 4

1 yr internship experience - SpaceMatters, New Delhi

Schools I'm interested in: GSAPP, Cornell, TU Delft, Cincinnati, IAAC (Spain), AA School (U.K.) 

Portfolio: In the works but I have some pretty strong projects in there including institutional buildings like schools and universities that I worked on during my training period  

LORs: 1 from former thesis studio guide, 1 from former employer, 1 from dissertation guide

SOP: Need to start

Transcripts: 50%

Would welcome suggestions on interesting courses as I don't want to pursue a traditional M. Arch II degree. I'd prefer to grasp new skills which would add an international value to my professional capabilities. More inclined towards work opportunities that require a lot of travel. Please help to classify these schools into ambitious / moderate / safe categories.

Sep 30, 15 1:16 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Hello akanksha.c! I am not the right person to guide you to which program should you go. It seems right for you, based on what you say, to not pursue an March II program. Urban design programs are quite interesting, while i have recently came across a really interesting Masters degree program offered by Univeristy of Michigan. Regarding the classification of the prementioned programs I would say: ambitious -> GSAPP, Cornell, moderate -> AA, Cincinatti, safe -> Delft, IAAC, although it mostly depends on the portfolio you are submitting. If it is a killer one, with the rest of the qualifications you have, I can't see why not getting admitted by the "ambitious" choices. Hope you the best

Oct 1, 15 4:06 am  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

Thanks for the encouragement, achi_app! Working on making that kickass portfolio. I looked at the program offered in University of Michigan. It seems interesting but unfortunately the deadline for intent to enroll was April so its too late now for that. I will email them just in case. Would you say the volume of jobs for urban designers are at par to those for architects? I am a little concerned about the outcome after graduation.

Oct 1, 15 8:36 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Just check the website of every firm you know. Urban planners are.everywhere. Every project needs a masterplan, even if it is not an urban regeneration. Even if it is a building. I have recently worked on an architectural competition for a museum. And guess what: the firm i was working for needed an urban planner to design the context of the museum. So I would not really worry about the prospect of getting a job as an urban planner after your graduation. I would worry though about the possible amount of money every architect has to spend in order to acquire a masters degree, and then possibly not taking this money back. I am, myself, applying this fall for USA post-professional degrees and I am not entirely sure what am I going to do if I do not get a scholarship from the university, or from a foundation here in my country.

Oct 1, 15 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Akanksha I think the deadline to enroll is only after you get admitted into the program....so there shouldn't be an issue with applying. I'm interested in Taubman as well...! Applied and got rejected last time :/ fingers crossed! Achi_app, which schools are you looking at? Like Akanksha, even I am unsure about the prospects of an urban planning degree....but you do make a good point. The need for urban planners in today's time is definitely significant....gsapp has a good UD program, right?

Oct 2, 15 4:16 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

I am applying at gsd, ysoa, smarchs, gsapp, berkeley, ucla. A friend of mine is currently studying at gsapp urban design and she is absolutely ecstatic about the level and resources available at school. Harini you are right about the deadlines regarding Taubman. The program i liked at michigan was the one related to restoration and the other one was the one associated with health or smth. I will soon post my profile in this post. Hope the best to everyone

Oct 2, 15 7:17 am  · 
 · 

Yeah me too! Need to get a serious move on with my SOP and portfolio! :) As for me the specialization on Digital Tech or Materials sounds interesting...

Oct 2, 15 8:40 am  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

Check out http://www.acsa-arch.org/ . I discovered this website yesterday. Lots of useful information available at a glance. You can even filter schools by region, scholarship, degrees etc

Oct 2, 15 8:46 am  · 
 · 

Thanks Akanksha....I'll check it out! 

Oct 2, 15 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

@harini , akanksha, achi_app. Thanks a ton I m probably on the same boat as u'll. I have worked for 3 years in the industry and fighting in my mind if I should go n invest the amount of money in masters or just continue working. I wish to know if any of ull have came across courses which didn't require GRE as a mandatory. I know SMARCHS at MIT is one but any where else , I just don't wanna count on MIT knowing the amount of competition my application will face plus the hefty fee for the same.

Oct 6, 15 1:17 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

25/ M / International (Greek) / Recently finished 5-yr (B.Arch+M.Arch equivalent) degree programme in Greece 

Applying for M.Arch II this fall

GRE 161 Quantitative / 150 Verbal / 4.5

Toefl 115/120

GPA 4/4 (Valedictorian)

6 month internship experience while in school

Schools im applying: Harvard GSD, MIT, Yale, GSAPP, UC Berkeley, UCLA

Portfolio: 50%  

LOR: 75% / 3 LORs: 1 from thesis supervisor, 1 from former professor, 1 from former employer, 

SOP: 100%

Transcripts: 100%

Good luck to everyone going through this full-time job, stressing procedure!

Nov 16, 15 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

27/ F / International (Indian) / Recently finished 5-yr (B.Id ) degree programme in Ahmedabad, India

Applying for M.Arch I this fall

GRE 158 Quantitative / 167 Verbal / 5.5

Toefl 114/120

GPA 2.63/4 (Absolute GPA)

3.5 year work experience in a variety of architecture and interior design firms, also participated in an 5 city urban research project conducted by LSE,and have designed a couple of websites.

I have been nominated for the Fulbright Nehru Master's fellowship in heritage conservation, so I am independently applying for M Arch 1 programs which is my first choice.

Schools I am applying independently M Arch1:  Yale, UC Berkeley, UTSOA

Schools through Fulbright (conservation): MIT SMArch, Harvard Mdes, UPenn and Clemson

Portfolio: 80%  

LOR: 75% / 3 LORs: 1 from thesis supervisor, 1 from former professor/employer, 1 from former employer, 

SOP: 100%

Transcripts:100%

Already super late in sending applications and going crazy!:)

Nov 28, 15 7:14 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@.3006 I am a liitle bit confused. You are applying for MArch I this fall but MIT's SMArch program is a post-professional degree (MArch II). How is that possible? I mean on the one hand you are applying for MArch I and simultaneously for MArch II too  

Nov 28, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

@international_applicant,

yes that is the confusing problem with my undergrad course. So I have a Bachelor of Interior Design (5 years). And so I am left with a state where I have learnt a lotta stuff and worked in quite a few places but don't have certain amount of knowledge or the license to practice as an architect.

So firstly I am applying for the MArch 1 which will provide me a license to practice but I will have to spend a year relearning stuff I already know. (this is an expensive and time consuming plan)

Secondly although I am not eligible for most M Arch 2, MIT SMArch in Architecture and Urbanism allows me to apply (mentioned in their website). I don't know how much chance there is in getting through though and whether I will be able to cope even if I do.But It is only two years, and can be covered by the Fulbright (they will not cover MArch1) and will give me a great deal of exposure even though I will not get licensed. This is why I am applying for the SMArch in the first place. Also MIT is my dream school and I am not eligible for their M Arch1 since I already have a professional degree.

Nov 28, 15 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@.3006 it is crystal clear now! lots of luck with your application! I am applying to MIT SMarchs too! :) Hopefully we get good results. It is my dream school too :)

Nov 29, 15 5:43 am  · 
 · 

:)

Nov 29, 15 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

Anyone have an idea as to how M.S. Arch programs work in terms of licensure afterwards, given that they're not NAAB accredited?

Nov 29, 15 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
JMK1

@Harini Padmanabhan- Depends on the Jurisdiction you are looking to be licensed in

Dec 1, 15 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
JMK1

I plan on applying but I don't know (meaning I doubt I will) if I'll get accepted. 

BFA - SCAD 2003- So yeah that was 13 years ago

GRE- Don't remember but it wasn't that great

LOR's- Not even sure who to ask anymore (Hopefully I have SOME contacts still) 

GPA- Jeez, that was 13 years ago, 2.8 maybe, prolly disquallifies me right there! lol

SOP - ummm. maybe 75% there, still needs some editing/ polishing 

Transcipts- 66% Complete, one school won't respond 

Portfolio- needs to be reformatted completely due to age 

So, y'all aren't doing soooooo bad! 

Dec 1, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
rengrsl

Does anybody have any tips on the personal statement? I am having so much trouble sorting it out! Are you guys sending the same one to all the schools?

22/ F / International (Italian) / Bachelor of science of architecture at Politecnico di Milano

Applying for M.Arch this fall

GRE 156 Quantitative / 152 Verbal /  3.5

GPA 3.8

Schools im interested in: GSAPP, Pratt, Parsons, Berkeley, IIT, Sci-Arc, Harvard

Undecided about: Cooper Union

Portfolio: 100%

LOR: 100% (all professors)

SOP: 60% - having so much trouble and deadlines are so close!!

Dec 2, 15 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@[email protected]  I do not think it is a wise choise to send the exact same SOP to all the programs! You should tailor it to the pertinent program you are applying

Dec 3, 15 5:50 am  · 
 · 
rengrsl

@international_applicant do you know a good website where to find examples? I terribly need inspiration

Dec 4, 15 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Well do not use templates or examples! Be true. Answer questions like why architecture, what happened during your undergraduate studies, what happened during your professional experience (if you have worked), why the specific program. So not try to write like sb else. It is called letter of statement for a reason. I had the same problem with you, but then I sat down and wrote again and again answering those question. Finally, I got the SOP I wanted. Not sure if the best, but it is mine and it is sincere.

Dec 5, 15 4:25 am  · 
 · 

I'm in the process of drafting out my SOP as well…..the biggest tip I got was that your SOP has to be in sync with the ideas that you've conveyed in your portfolio - in other words, they have to reinforce each other. That's what i'm trying to do. And like international_applicant said, it has to be a reflection of oneself. Much easier said than done, but it's the right way to go. Hope we all pull it off :)

Dec 5, 15 4:40 am  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

[email protected] it really helps to organize your thoughts in a flow chart or a mental web. Get your basic structure down first and then go from there.Writing the SOPs was a very introspective process for me which seemed daunting at first but as I started putting thoughts to paper, it only added clarity to my reasoning for pursuing masters. Good luck! :)

Dec 9, 15 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
RazanALT

28 / F / US / B.S. in IT & M.S in Information Systems at George Mason University

GRE 161 Verbal / 152 Quantitative / 4.5

GPA 3.47/4.00

Portfolio: 75%

LOR: Ehh.... Sigh. 1 Professor / Dept Head who hasn't submitted yet. 2 Career Disco instructors and 1 work recommendation

SOP: 75% 

Transcript: 100%

Schools that I'm interested in: Yale, MIT, GA Tech (submitted!!!) , VA Tech (In-State Tuition!!), Princeton, University of Michigan. (RISD??)  

My interests are: 1) Design / Build 2) Technology 

Dec 19, 15 12:40 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Good luck everybody

Dec 20, 15 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

28/ M / American / 4-yr pre professional B.Arch degree 

Applying for M.Arch I and MLA I in the fall

GRE: 152 Quantitative/ 168 Verbal/ 6 Analytical 

GPA: 3.2/4

2 years of internship experience.  3 independent study projects with faculty, one of which will be published and one which might be, depending on how a grant plays out. 

Schools: GSD, U.T. Austin, MIT

Undecided if I want an MLA or an M.Arch.  Trending towards MLA, landscape research seems much more topical to reality than architectural research, at the moment.

Portfolio: 30%, need to finish that up.  

LOR: 100% 1 from former professor, 1 from professor with whom I'm doing research, 1 from former employer.

SOP: 100%.  Pretty straight forward, to be honest.  

While I think I can get in to GSD/MIT, I'll probably end up at Texas or Washington because they're likely to give me more aid.  I don't think the Ivy degree is worth tens of thousands of dollars in debt.  We'll see

Dec 20, 15 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
cecyliyay

22/ F/ Chinese-Canadian / 5-yr pre professional Hons B.AS degree 

M,Arch I 

GRE: 161 Quantitative/ 161 Verbal/ 4 Analytical 

GPA: 3.7/4.0? My school doesn't convert to GPA so I'm not exactly sure..

2 years of internship experience within my 5 year program.

Schools: UCLA, Berkeley, USC, GSD, YSoA. My first choice is Berkeley. 

Portfolio: 95% Submitted to UCLA and Berkeley, but will probably work on it more for the others. http://issuu.com/ccyan/docs/portfolio_grad_web

LOR: 100% (5 total - 2 from former employers, 3 from professors)

SOP: 90%. Still need to tailor towards some schools.  

Transcripts: 100% 

I have to admit, I'm a bit anxious. I have no clue how my application would stand relative to others'. Looking at undergraduate work of archi schools in the states, the projects seem way more developed that what I do at school...

Dec 21, 15 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

Finally portfolio is 99% over:).

http://issuu.com/ranjanisrinivasan/docs/portfolio_utsoa

Dec 22, 15 10:40 am  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

Hey guys its been a while! Hope everyone completed all their apps on time. I ended up applying to 4 schools for masters in urbanism/urban planning:

1. TU Delft, 2. UC Berkeley, 3. USC, 4. Cornell

Received a conditional admit for TU Delft so far. Super elated and eagerly waiting for others. Did anyone else hear from any universities yet?

Jan 15, 16 6:30 am  · 
 · 

Congratulations, gradschoolaspirant!

I've applied to Parsons, Yale, Pratt, Columbia, Cincinnati and Michigan so far. Fingers crossed!

Jan 15, 16 7:23 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

I've applied for an March Ii to Harvard, MIT, Yale, Columbia, Berkeley, UCLA. May the force be with us! :)

Jan 18, 16 5:50 am  · 
 · 

I applied to MArch II and MDes (Art, Design and the Public Realm) at GSD. The wait is unbearable. I don't know if I will make it until March! Good luck to everyone!

Jan 26, 16 10:00 am  · 
 · 

I know!! The wait is excruciating! Good luck to all!

Jan 26, 16 10:30 am  · 
 · 
matdez6

Its weird how if you compare this thread with previous years, it seems like less people actually applied this year, or they simply don't care to post haha.

Jan 26, 16 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Why do people post all this personal information about themselves? To me that is the weirdest part about threads such as this.
Jan 26, 16 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I was doing a Processing class last semester and stumbled into looking at Google trends...  I searched all the "top" architecture school names and it seems as though they are all trending down... 

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%2Fm%2F0bhj0z%2C%20%2Fm%2F04wpt3%2C%20%2Fm%2F04d5wb%2C%20%2Fm%2F05bnq8%2C%20%2Fm%2F0c8jbs&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT%2B5

Same thing appears with the occupation of Architecture: 

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%2Fm%2F03nfmq

Jan 26, 16 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

SpatialSojourner - Interesting. Perhaps those of us who applied this year have a better chance at getting in! Do you know of any data that shows how many applicants there were each year over the same time period? I wonder if they correlate...

Jan 27, 16 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

Got into Cornell!  Pretty stoked.  Only downside is that UW and GSD don't make decisions until April 15th and March, respectively, and Cornell wants a decision on March 1st.  I don't much like the idea of making a decision without all of my options vetted. 

Jan 28, 16 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Good news Dangermouse! I did not know that Cornell answers so early comparing to other post graduate programs. What are you going to do? I am afraid that I may be in a similar place soon as I think that UCLA and Columbia are going to answer earlier than GSD, MIT, Yale and Berkeley

Jan 29, 16 4:58 am  · 
 · 

Congratulations, Dangermouse :) but yeah I didn't know Cornell got back so soon! Tricky decision to make :/

Jan 29, 16 7:17 am  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

@Dangermouse For what program? And how did you hear back, email or phone call? And congrats!

Jan 29, 16 7:35 am  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

Hey @Dangermouse! Congratulations! I got a video interview from Cornell which I'm yet to give. Approximately how many days after the interview did you receive the results?

Jan 29, 16 8:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: