Archinect
anchor

masters program

is if their a difference from a 2yr and 3yr masters program, you get a masters either way but why a year difference? more knowledge? more time for thesis?

i know some schools only have 3 year programs regardless if you have an undergraduate in architecture (i will be getting one soon!(:).

Aug 18, 15 3:51 pm
Non Sequitur

In most 3y programs, you get to wear a cape after graduation. It's like the engineering department's metal pinky-finger trinket but with more flavour.

Aug 18, 15 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

haha ok! :)

Aug 18, 15 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
kayl0

Two year master programs, which are generally M.arch2 programs require a accredited B.arch degree. Three year master programs are open to students with any type of bachelors degree.   

Aug 21, 15 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@krisl0x3

This is totally false. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Aug 21, 15 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
kayl0

"The compressed and intensive timeline for this program requires an advanced background in architectural studies and is open to students with a five-year Bachelor of Architecture degree from an NAAB accredited program in the U.S., foreign equivalent, or graduate degree in architecture." - UCLA M. Arch 2

"The Master of Architecture II program is for students already holding a professional degree in architecture (B.Arch., or an equivalent first professional degree) who seek a second, master’s-level degree in this discipline and who are interested in developing a stronger theoretical basis for their understanding of the field." - Yale M. Arch 2

"The program leading to the Master in Architecture as a postprofessional degree is intended for individuals who have completed a five-year undergraduate professional program in architecture or its equivalent." - GSD M. Arch 2

"Studio One  is a two-semester, post-professional, design studio intended for those who wish to continue to explore current design issues in a stimulating, rigorous, and experimental studio setting. Students applying to the Studio One program must hold a Bachelor of Architecture (five-year professional) degree or a professional M.ARCH degree." - UC Berkeley M.Arch 2

It's on all of these schools websites. You can basically just google M.Arch 2 and the school you want. This is what they tell you. How am I misinformed?

Aug 24, 15 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

M.Arch II programs are generally two years. That is true. But the original question made no mention of M.Arch II degrees at all. 

What is completely incorrect is the italicized portion of this poorly-constructed statement: "Two year master programs, which are generally M,Arch2 programs require a accredited B.Arch degree."

Most two-year master's programs are not M.Arch II programs. They are M.Arch I programs intended for students with a four-year undergraduate degree in architecture. The entire 4+2 path to an accredited degree is based on the two-year M.Arch I.

Aug 24, 15 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
kayl0

As someone who will start a M. Arch 1 program this Fall, who graduated with a 4 year architecture degree, who research and applied last year I can tell you most M. Arch 1 programs are 3 years.  You can get away with 2.5 years if the school counts previous classes taken in undergrad, however this is not easy to obtain.

"The Master of Architecture I (M.Arch.I), accredited by the NAAB, is the basic professional degree in architecture at UCLA. It is offered to students who want to acquire the skills and knowledge needed to practice architecture professionally. It consists of three years of study, including design studios, required course work, and electives" - UCLA M.Arch 1 

"The great majority of students enter the program and graduate in 3.5 years. A small number of students who have completed a four-year undergraduate degree in architecture at another school, may be admitted with advanced entry to the program and graduate in 2.5 years." - MIT M.Arch 1

"The basic course leading to the Master of Architecture degree takes three academic years and requires the completion of at least 72 units during that period of residence. Persons who hold a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree with a major in architecture may receive up to one year of advanced standing. The Master of Architecture Committee of the department will determine the specific amount of advanced standing individually for each student at the time she or he first registers for graduate study in the department." - Berkeley M.Arch 1

So depending on the school and level of completion of previous courses you might be lucky enough to only take 2 years, but the reality is you will probably take longer.  

Aug 24, 15 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

So you're saying you didn't get advanced placement (imagine my surprise), so that means no one does. Got it. 

Aug 24, 15 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
kayl0

No. I am saying after talking to other admitted students with 4 year degrees very few received advanced placement. I'm talking out of personal experience. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings @placebeyondthesplines.

Aug 24, 15 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

I don't know where you went to school (or where you're going), but many talented students with solid undergraduate backgrounds take two years to finish an M.Arch I. If, like the original poster, you graduated from a shitty program like Texas Tech, then I would not be surprised if you and your peers mostly didn't get advanced placement when applying to a more selective (by which I mean selective at all) program. 

Aug 24, 15 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I did a 4+2, even got classes waived because my undergrad covered a lot of content.

There are plenty out there, it may just be where you came from or where you went (good luck doing 2 years at Harvard, they know you will sell your soul to go there so they figure you might as well). I wish there was a comprehensive list, but most general listings just use words like "most" or "common" when it comes to this sort of thing. ACSA's website just says "When the master's degree follows a four-year, pre-professional architecture degree, it represents the "two" in the term "four-plus-two" program, and is the final portion of the professional phase of the study program."

Aug 24, 15 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Many of the "top" schools seem to be turning the 4+2 into 4+3++.  It's ridiculous.  The Ivies and UCLA were knocked out because they were 3-3.5 years to complete while Michigan was one of the few options that I had where it was actually a 2 year program.  A director of an master of architecture program told me, "Everyone enjoys being in school and wishes that they could stay longer," as they were trying to convince me to come.  Sureee, but even with the scholarships, being out of work another year is $$$ I'm not going to be making.      

Aug 25, 15 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

A lot of people just don't even try to get advanced placement... I know people who did a full 3 years at SCI-arch with the same undergrad degree as me. I didn't go there, but I was accepted into the program with advanced placement. *shrug*

Personally, I am bothered the most by the implication that someone with 0 experience in architecture should be placed in the same program as someone with 3-4 years of experience. Especially when these very programs are saying you only need a total of 3 years experience to be a proper professional. They are literally saying your experience is worthless.

Aug 25, 15 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

UVA, WashU  among others expect applicants with an accredited 4 yr degree (BS in Architecture) to finish in 2 yrs, their 3yr programs are geared toward those with non-architecture degrees (including BA with a major in architecture, urban design degrees and any number of 'design' degrees that are not accredited - that is that they often don't include the requisite coursework in structures/theory/history).

Arguably most people benefit from rigorous 3 yr programs, but the debt associated with that extra year can be a back breaker.

Aug 25, 15 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I finished my MArch I at U of Oregon last year (after a 4 year BS Arch). Every single person who entered with a BS Arch graduated in 2 years. This seems like the common experience, at least of the schools I applied to.

There was a 3-year program for students with non-architectural undergrads.

Aug 25, 15 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: