Archinect
anchor

Design question: Lift(elevator) access

syalda

Hello,
I'm looking for a regulation about private lifts in a residential tower; There is a lift that provides access for residences at level 2 to their private swimming pool at level 14.Is there any regulation for considering any emergency exits at floors between 2 and 14?

Aug 18, 15 1:54 am
gruen
Nah. You're good
Aug 18, 15 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

There is an exception in the code that if you provide a fire pole from levels 15 to level 3, but only from 15 to 3, then you don't need an elevator. So just put a closet with the pole all the way down and you are good to go!

Aug 19, 15 8:53 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

So just put a closet with the pole all the way down and you are good to go!

Don't forget that the pole shaft must be a rated enclosure!

Aug 19, 15 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ good call.

Aug 19, 15 11:16 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Thank you, I should have pointed that out and it is very important.

Also, vertical rated assembly has to be independent from horizontal assemblies in case the structure around the pole shaft collapses, the shaft itself remains in tact for the full height of the mentioned levels!

Aug 20, 15 11:12 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Good point, poop876. I remember the first pole shaft I designed was 20 stories tall. I was in awe of the 200' long studs that had to be erected to keep the vertical assembly intact. That was a proud day for a designer seeing the crane operator hoist them babies in place.

Aug 20, 15 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if i'm not mistaken one can use the poor door as an emergency exit from the private swimming pools in this particular residential occupancy cluster fuck.

Aug 20, 15 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

i only use Brass Poles....I learned that from doing Fire Houses!

Aug 20, 15 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
If you use a meat pole its automatically a rated shaft.
Aug 21, 15 2:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: