Archinect
anchor

MLA II Portfolio

mi_rrr

HI! I am applying to the MLA II program this fall. I was looking on the internet for sample portfolios from people who applied to the MLA II program but I cannot seem to find any. Since I do not have a landscape background I was wondering if someone could possibly give me some tips and/or show me their portfolio as an example of when you applied to the MLA II program. I am about to graduate with a degree in City and regional Planning and unfortunately most universities do not recognize this degree as a design degree, therefore I have to apply to the MLA II.

Aug 17, 15 2:44 pm
placebeyondthesplines

If you'd investigated this even a little bit, you would know you are not eligible for an MLA II.

An MLA II is a post-professional degree, meaning it's intended for someone who already has a either a BLA or an MLA I. You have neither, so you would be applying for MLA I programs. You'll find portfolios for those all over the place.

I'd be surprised if anyone recognizes planning as a design degree any more than they recognize public policy or engineering as design.

Aug 17, 15 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
mi_rrr

Yes you are right, I got confused but I do know the difference and each school labels it differently. I have done plenty of research and I have not come across many samples.

Well our program is design heavy and we incorporate a lot of Urban Design and we work along side Arch and LArch students on projects, which is why I found it strange that our specific program is not recognized as design. 

Aug 17, 15 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

First professional degree vs post-professional degree? - it's not the studio work that makes an accredited professional degree.  Most schools will review exceptions on a case-by-case basis, but you'd have exemptions based on background.  For the most part, you'd benefit from 6 semesters of studio in a program as each has its own pedagogy and builds to the final studio or thesis. (Note some programs throw everyone into the same mix, though it's more common to split the programs for MLAs; arch degrees often put them in the same class)

The reason you'd find fewer examples is that there is a much larger range of portfolios compared to post-professional or 2 yr programs where everyone has similar backgrounds.  I'd visit the schools you're interested in; they'll almost always have a stack of accepted portfolios.

Aug 17, 15 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

This was not hard. 

http://issuu.com/search?q=mla%20application

Aug 17, 15 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: