Archinect
anchor

5-year Bachelor's or 3-year Masters Program?

Jetway

Hey guys, I'm a 28-year-old who wants to go back to school to become an architect. I have a BS in Chemistry and I have a good job, but I want to follow my passion. It seemed that the 3-year Masters programs offered by many colleges would be good for me, but I'm worried that they'd be too intense and fast-paced for someone with no architecture background. However, a traditional 5-year Bachelor's program would allow me to study as a beginner, not go as crazy, and even work part-time while going to school. I know that for many professions, job applicants with Masters degrees are favored over those with Bachelor's degrees, but I don't know what it is like in the architecture world. How much better off would I be with a Master's degree, and would you consider it to be worth the extra tuition, frantic schedule, and limited options of a 3-year program?

Aug 15, 15 4:19 pm
justinritchey17

I would recommend the 3-year MArch, because it would save you two years of college. I heard that the 5 year B-Arch is really intense because it fits a 4 year BS Arch and a 2 year MArch in 5 years. Also a 5 year BArch might make you redo core classes if the ones from your BS in chemistry don't transfer. A 3 year MArch is basically a 2 year MArch with the pre-reqs for someone with no experience in architecture. It is made for someone like you to get into architecture without any prior experience. Personal I think a BArch would waste your time and be as stressful as a MArch, if not more. I have heard employers usually don't have a preference for a masters or bachelors as long as they are both accredited, professional degrees. Again a BArch is an accelerated BS and MArch combined. Since you already have an undergrad degree I would suggest the 3 year MArch, honesty I think that would the best option for you.

Aug 15, 15 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

Also, it takes a long time to get licensed as an architect. You will need around 3740-5600 internship hours (depending on state), a professional degree, and pass 7 (will be 6 in a few months) exams to get licensed. Because of this I would recommend getting your professional degree as fast as possible, hence the 3 year MArch. However, if you feel more comfortable starting completely over with a BArch then go ahead. Do what feels most comfortable to you, just remember that additional experience and the exams will add about 2-5 years before you can get licensed. 

Aug 15, 15 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

If you don't think you can handle the intensity of a program specifically designed for people like you, with no architecture background, then why are you even asking this question?

Do you really think you'll be better off in a program that is 1.5-2 years longer, in which you'll be the lone 28-year-old in a sea of teenagers, at the end of which all your peers and co-workers will question why you have two bachelor's degrees instead of a master's?

That you're even posting this speaks volumes about how you'll fare in any architecture program.

Aug 16, 15 12:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: