Archinect
anchor

Examples of Portfolios for 3 year Grad Programs

ccarry

I will be applying to Grad school this year for the Fall of 2016. I received an undergrad in Art History so the Programs I will apply to will be the 3+ year. I have a solid background in Studio art But I am wondering what type of things I should include in my portfolio. I have quite a lot of drawing, painting and a bit of mixed media. Can anyone show me a link to some portfolios that do not have an architectural background. I wasn't planning on including any of my digital work but I was going to use Photoshop and In Design to create the portfolio. Thanks in advance. 

Aug 14, 15 12:14 pm
Snipes97

If you have little knowledge of architecture, you'll be at a disadvantage.  Architecture takes a long time to understand through an array of lens including political, social, economic, spatial, and technical.   And then you must be a decent communicator of the industry lexicon to communicate with other professionals, clients, contractors, code officials, vendors, and staff. 

If this is the path you have chosen, you must be all in and learn from each experience every day.  Too many times have I heard of industry people migrating into other careers…..not a bad thing though as arch. degrees and experiences set an individual up for many career avenues. 

With that being said, if this is the path you committed to, I suggest utilizing work that shows your understanding of space, building or not.  Include Imagery that reflects the ease of communicating ideas and that something revelatory can be taken from the work.  I would utilize a mix of digital and hand drawn work that express those types of things.  I would stay away from heavily abstract work.

Just my two sense….

Aug 14, 15 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: