Archinect
anchor

Arcitecture or industrial design

Andress

So, I'm starting this disscusion because of my professional dilemma and maybe because of general state/condition in these two fields.

Currently, I'm working as a school teacher in the field of applied sciences, or whats known in my country as 'technical culture'. Although job is fine and not stressful, I'm looking for something more challenging. Ever since high school I've been thinking about architecture, but I never had the opportunity to study because there's no architecture school in the city where I live, nor the finances were the brightest to afford myself to go outside.

During the study I involved myself in all projects and events related in any way with the architecture and design, in short - wherever something could be done - drywall workshops, vernacular architecture, carpentry, permaculture courses and workshops, furniture design, and just recently the construction of mountain hut on the Velebit mountain. Here's the link:

http://pogledaj.to/arhitektura/lijepo-novo-planinarsko-skloniste-na-velebitu/

I'm considering to apply for bach./master in the field of design and/or architecture. Studying architecture is very appealing to me due to the comprehensiveness of the area and the intellectual demands. Fundamental problem I face when thinking about myself working as an architect is the distance between 'the designer' and 'the product' itself. I like hands on approach and I like to be involved in every aspect of product makin' and bakin' :) conceptualization, design, production. Also, I'm not really keen on working in teams. I'm more of a loner and I like doing things by myself.

On the other hand, industrial design is more specific and my love towards wood is something that makes me want to specialize in that field. I'm interested in everything from furniture design to construction - wood properties, technologies, processing methods (if thats a correct term?), joints, static .. 

If anyone has had any experience studying both what would you say were the biggest differences?

Is this distance between designer and design something that can be generally expected in both architecture and industrial design?

Thanks!

Aug 14, 15 12:56 pm
proto

re: separation from the work: there's also turnaround time to finished project

architecture can take years sometimes

Aug 14, 15 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Would you enjoy working on the same project for years and some times never see it realised after a lot of hard work? Do you like drawing toilet cubicles for 3 years after your bach? Go with Architecture

I see these threads all the time, there has to be a rationality in choosing either of these career paths, not just "I feel that I like architecture or industrial design", is that really good enough to invest your future in?

Aug 17, 15 5:25 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I really cant speak for industrial design, but I would heed anything architecture. As stated above, architecture can be a very long and drawn out process just for the schooling (NCARB accredited), and once you graduate you are not really valued much with little to no 'real world' experience. 8-10 years in you can basically expect an income anywhere between $38-60k...and we're talking NYC with 8-10 years of experience $60-75k.

At least industrial design deals with a producible product that can be relatively cheap. Buildings cost a ton more, therefore raising the stakes on every level, from funding, to oversight, to lose of life, etc. I feel like any marketable product (not service) that can be funded and sold will be much more liberating to work on than trying to climb the architecture ladder. Your worst nightmares could not fathom the insidious gore that rots upon that ladder.

Also, architecture colleges and schools have riddled the market for the past 15 year producing a spawn of 'graduates' that have seen stable work dissolve into two recessions (2001 & 2008), some with lots of experience, some with experience here & there, and then a lot of ppl that have done a free internship or just never really gotten launched into the architecture stratosphere. Much like trying to swim in the sea your entire life only to never find the tiniest sandbar to rest your toe upon. 

Hind sight is always 20/20, but I would go Industrial design looking back on it.

Aug 17, 15 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

This is hard topic, since only you can decide if you wanted to pursue Architecture or Industrial Design. I guess the only thing I can say is, if you wanted to design buildings, landscapes and other infrastructures(and is willing to spend years of it) go for Architecture. Architecture requires patience since it usually takes 6-8 years before you will be called a professional one. 

If you wanted to design cool mechanical or machinery parts, on the other hand, go for Industrial Design. 

Aug 20, 15 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I studied Graphic Design, Industrial Design and Architecture - each filed progressed into the other all on the rails of 3D Modeling. and after 6 years, I am still a Junior level

I would go with Industrial design - the odds of success are greater - in architecture, you are facing long odds at best e.g., only 2% of graduates ever become licensed architects - you are always having to prove yourself to skeptical co-workers and and architects - only a few get any respect - 

Yves Behar is a good example of what is possible

http://www.fuseproject.com/people

Aug 21, 15 11:55 am  · 
 · 

ID is about process and materials, and as such is applicable to any field of design. Architecture is much more specific and limited, especially by education.

Aug 21, 15 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Andress

Allright.

Thanks guys for all your replies.

DeTwan, I see your point but honestly, corporate architecture, big business and climbing the ladder are not my top priority and would like to keep  it that way. I guess our views about the vocation differ according to culture each of us belong to. Croatia is a crappy place to live in if you are enthusiastic engineer (or designer) of any kind, but one thing I like about it is that it's low on steroids.

Industrial design is a dilemma that only just recently crept into my mind. On the long run, I would like to have an option to start a small firm one day and that excludes ID. 

Anyway, I would like to hear some experiences of ppl that run small businesses and have more contact with the crafts...

Cheers!

Sep 2, 15 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: