Archinect
anchor

The 100 Most Beautiful College Campuses in America

TIQM
Volunteer

I think the old campus of the University of South Carolina, known as the Horseshoe, is even more striking than the Lawn at UVA. UNC and Ole Miss are good choices for this list, but it is highly subjective.

Aug 13, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Interesting, the absence of modern architecture in all but 3 on a list of “The Most Beautiful College Campuses".

Aug 13, 15 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Looks like collegiate gothic and a very few other traditional styles have a lock on it. The Bauhaus crowd, and the entire modernist hoard that followed, would not be pleased.

Aug 13, 15 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Quite a few of the colleges listed are known for their modern architecture even if the author of this publication chose not to show it in the photo. (I'm thinking specifically of the University of Cincinnati, MIT, and IIT here.)

Aug 13, 15 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I didn't see one beautiful woman in that slideshow.

Aug 13, 15 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^They’re all at #94 :)

Aug 13, 15 10:04 pm  · 
 · 

ONE HUNDRED campuses and they didn't include Cranbrook? This list is garbage.

Also, Tuskegee belongs on there.

Aug 13, 15 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM
So does Brown. And maybe UCLA.
Aug 13, 15 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

David Cole - you are right about that, a lot of interesting photo editorial decisions made in this article. Great building shown for IIT, but not showing Crown Hall? Same w/ McMicken at UC, great building, but there are so many great contemporary buildings. The one shot for Colorado - Boulder highlights neither the 'Tuscan Vernacular Revival' buildings, which are great, nor the awesome mountains that Boulder is pushed up against. Instead we get the mono-pitch sheds playing off each other. Nice, but not representative. If you are going to make the list, choose the most exemplary iteration of the representative building or natural feature.

Carrera - totally agree, a lot of attractive co-eds are enrolled at #94. So many that one of the main reasons to leave #50 and make the trek up to #94 was that kind of beauty.

Pepperdine at #19 is under ranked imo, but that may be because when I visited we had made blended margaritas in the car while driving up the 1, and I was awash in liquored-up sunshine. Really a gorgeous place, even when sober.

Cranbrook has to be included too, totally agree Donna. I love the Saarinen projects and master plan, but my favorite individual building is the Williams / Tsien natatorium.

Aug 14, 15 9:14 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I don't Believe there are 100 Architectural campuses in America...lol...

Aug 15, 15 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Odd how a college campus and the usual surrounding small town are almost always interesting and fun places to visit for a function or athletic event but their cousins, the corporate office parks, always seem to give off a prison vibe, no matter what the architecture or landscaping consists of.

Aug 17, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: