Archinect
anchor

Can an architect become a civil engineer ?

architect.az

I am a second year's architecture student and I heard that after finishing my architecture's studies,I can study one more year and become a civil engineer which is a good idea .. does anyone know if it's true or even possible ??

Aug 12, 15 12:30 pm
Non Sequitur

Am I correct in assuming that they teach you context in your architecture program? It really helps to consider it when asking bloody generic questions.

Aug 12, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Zbig

There are three different occupations that relate to each other here: the architect, the landscape architect, and the civil engineer.

I've seen many civil engineers who are also landscape architects. I have on occasion designed hardscape as an architect.

I still think that civil engineering involves a lot more knowledge that architects don't have. I'd be surprised if you could get a degree in CE in just one year after finishing architecture. There would be a lot of structural, storm control, and site information that architects know very little about and you would have to learn.

Aug 12, 15 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Short answer: yes, but only if it's a dual degree situation when taken simultaneously (engineering was traditionally a 5yr degree now crammed into 4).

You take all the coursework required for an ABET accredited degree - the degree you need to sit for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam ( the PE exam comes later) in parallel to your architectural studies (I have had colleagues do that). 

ABET accredited degrees include the following general education coursework: Calculus (3 semester); 2 semesters each of: Chemistry, Physics, Mechanics (statics and dynamics); 1 semester each of: Electrical Circuits, Computer Programming, Law, Economics, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Probability and Statistics.

Most bookstores carry study books for the FE exam.  This should tell you what you'll need to take while in school.  It's possible with 18~21 semester credit loads, but that's pushing a lot in arch and engineering (alternatively you can take a lot of these classes in the summer, but you won't have any work history when you graduate).

In practice it's more related than in school. (I have degrees in civil with minor in arch studies, master in arch and master in land arch; it wasn't easy and there are a lot of loans involved)

Aug 12, 15 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Aldrich66

Yes and No.

To understand this, one must understand that there are two types of architects, a design architect and a project architect. A design architect is one who designs the buildings and takes care of the outer and inner aesthetics. Design architects generally have a fine sense of colour, texture, finishes and pay a lot of attention to detailing.

A project architect on the other hand is one who is generally employed from the builder's or the project management firm's side. He is the one knows the design in and out but does not design himself, ensures co-ordination work with architects, structural and services engineers and supports the on-site execution team.

It is diffcult for a civil engineer to become the former. Infact it is difficult for some architects to become the former. However a civil engineer can easily perform the role of a project architect with some experience. My boss was a civil engineer and he had a very good understanding of building design. I had many civil engineer colleagues who performed my role very efficiently. It just requires little bit of training because architects generally have a fair amount of understanding of buildings through their curriculum.

Aug 14, 15 6:44 am  · 
 · 
Rohit desai

Yes and No.

To understand this, one must understand that there are two types of architects, a design architect and a project architect. A design architect is one who designs the buildings and takes care of the outer and inner aesthetics. Design architects generally have a fine sense of colour, texture, finishes and pay a lot of attention to detailing. 

A project architect on the other hand is one who is generally employed from the builder's or the project management firm's side. He is the one knows the design in and out but does not design himself, ensures co-ordination work with architects, structural and services engineers and supports the on-site execution team.

It is diffcult for a civil engineer to become the former. Infact it is difficult for some architects to become the former. However a civil engineer can easily perform the role of a project architect with some experience. My boss was a civil engineer and he had a very good understanding of building design. I had many civil engineer colleagues who performed my role very efficiently. It just requires little bit of training because architects generally have a fair amount of understanding of buildings through their curriculum.

PS I am an architect who could never become a design architect, hence chose the latter.

Jun 10, 16 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

CLASSIC^

Jun 10, 16 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

A good direction is to be a structural engineer and not a civil engineer.  understanding of architecture & structure is a good marriage to have.

Jun 15, 16 7:18 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

^Structural engineers are specialized civil engineers. There are many civil engineers who don't work for architects. My cousin is a "civil engineer" who designs particle colliders for instance. Civil is a word that is used to differentiate from military. 

Jun 15, 16 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: