Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Format for Job Interviews - iPad or Hard Copy?

Living in Gin

Greetings, all...

I'm about to start another periodic re-vamp of my portfolio, and I'm wondering what format people are gravitating towards these days?

In the past (unless a prospective employer specifically states a different preference), I typically email my resume and maybe three work samples on one 11x17 page each in PDF format, and if I'm invited in for an interview, I bring a hard-bound portfolio that I created on Blurb.com with a more extensive selection of projects. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the hardbound book format, but it's expensive to create (about $100 per copy), takes several weeks to print, and doesn't lend itself to much flexibility when it comes to making revisions, adding or subtracting projects, etc. The types of projects I'd show to a firm that does a lot of big academic buildings would ideally be different than what I'd show to a firm that does mostly high-end residential work.

One option I'm considering would be to buy an iPad to interviews, where people can simply swipe through each "page", zoom in and out of images, etc. It also has the benefit of being more flexible in terms of changing the content, allowing multiple versions of my portfolio that can easily be compiled, and of course, the iPad is useful for lots of other things besides serving as a presentation device. In addition to the iPad, maybe I'd have a short booklet or some other kind of printed material that I can leave behind, but something that can be printed relatively quickly and inexpensively.

Thoughts?

Aug 6, 15 9:17 pm
thearchitectsguide

Hi David,

I typically recommend that when people go for their interview they always bring a hard copy. I completely understand the cost issue is a problem. The way to reduce your cost is to simply reduce the format size. This is something I have done in the past and others I have coached. By going with an 8.5x11 format and printing on both sides, when you have a full spread the effective size is 8.5x22. You can then print at home or commerically for a much lower per page cost vs a 11x17 plot. This still allows plenty of room for a single large image (best if binding is as small as possible) or a collage. However, you many need to reformat the 11x17 pages to have more pages with less information on each page.

If you already have an iPad you can bring it to the interview as a worst case scenario backup portfolio (the hard copy gets wet) but I would not spend $400 to save $100.

Good luck!

Brandon

www.thearchitectsguide.com

Aug 6, 15 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

I've used my ipad multiple times in the past, and had a offer rate of about 80%.

The key is to be prepared to do more than just show your portfolio. I kept a whole bunch of CD's, as well as renderings and finished images and depending on the substance of the conversation, I'd produce whatever item was relevant. Being quick on your feet like that impresses a certain kind of employer (generally the ones who have very little interest in making you into a CAD monkey).

Aug 8, 15 10:23 pm  · 
 · 

If you already have an iPad you can bring it to the interview as a worst case scenario backup portfolio (the hard copy gets wet) but I would not spend $400 to save $100.

The upfront cost of the iPad is certainly greater, but given the number of copies of the hardbound book I normally print (usually a new version at least once a year, and each iteration usually involves a draft copy to check for any errors or formatting problems, and then a final version), the iPad would pay for itself in roughly two years.

Aug 9, 15 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

David, I've done the ipad, and if you are meeting one-on-one, it works. If not, and you are meeting with a small group, I've asked about connecting to an lcd or projector. If not that, then small hand outs. In any of those cases, mostly with more than one interviewer, then I'd ask what is available.

Aug 9, 15 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: