Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Advice

Hello,

I am hoping that I could get some honest advice regarding my portfolio, I am hoping to secure my first architecture internship this fall and would really appreciate some opinions. I have only taken one intro to architecture course thus far, but have taken numerous non-studio courses relevant to the degree. I know it has issues, so please let me know what I could do to make it as strong as possible.

Thank you for your help! (:

Regards,

Keegan

www.issuu.com/kwstrouse

Aug 6, 15 7:45 pm
JBeaumont

I would re-order the sections and cull it just a little.  

Lead with the concept projects - but I don't think the tropical resort project is as strong as the others and I might weed that one out.  

Follow that with the architectural study projects.

Then painting - I think those are fairly strong.

Then photos - they're good but there are a few too many - thin them out and then go bigger with those that remain.

Sketches last.  They're not bad but they're a little less relevant, more whimsical, and it's best to finish up in that direction rather than start there.

I'd take out the page of inspirations.

Your resume is a little difficult to take in at a glance.  I'd include full year numbers, and put the spaces between your first, middle, and last names.  

Consider moving the software skills higher, and your school extracurriculars lower.  For a first internship the software skills will be important.  It's not that the other things aren't - in fact it's not uncommon that a potential employer initially connects with an applicant over one of their shared interests - so it's not that you should remove that info - just make it clear that you're prioritizing the skills that could be useful to the employer above your free-time activities.

Aug 6, 15 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
thearchitectsguide

Hi Keegan,

I would agree with JBeaumont's comments above regarding the content of your portfolio. I would add that you need to think about exactly WHO you are submitting this portfolio to. I am going to assume that you are applying to an architecture firm. You need to keep in mind what they are looking for. They will likely not be looking for someone with exceptional painting or hand drawing abilities. While these are certainly valuable skills it may be difficult for a hiring manager to see how your skills will apply to an intern's daily workflow.

It is fine to include a few artistic examples but you definitely want to highlight the building design work you have done and minimize the less relevant design work. The links below discuss creating and submitting job application portfolios. These should be helpful for you at this early stage of your career.

4 Reasons Why You Need a STAR Portfolio

The Two Page Architecture Portfolio

Good Luck!

Brandon

Aug 6, 15 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: