Archinect
anchor

Graduate programs - If I don't want to practice?

jso1226

Hello,

I got my bachelor's in non-design degree in 2014 (more like urban studies major) and currently working in green building/information design industry within the realm of User Experience Design/Data visualization. 

I have always enjoyed studying architecture and my major interest lies in urban design, specifically. I am looking to apply for architecture graduate schools in order to get a solid background/foundation in architecture, theory and design.

Although, I realized I don't want to practice; I am more interested in research or consulting. So i thought about MA programs or urban studies/environmental sustainability masters programs. I still think architecture school opens a lot more options. But is it really reasonable to go to architecture school but not wanting be an architect? Or is M.Arch the best route to start? Is the experience in practice essential no matter which route you choose?

Please feel free to share your opinions about MA vs. March and recommendations on MA/urban studies/sustainability programs would be appreciated (schools in the US or Europe).

Thank you!

Aug 6, 15 12:11 am
Sharky McPeterson

"Although, I realized I don't want to practice; I am more interested in research or consulting."

How can you teach or be a "consultant" without any real knowledge of the field? How many good consultants have never practiced?

Aug 6, 15 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

How can you teach or be a "consultant" without any real knowledge of the field?

Um, isn't this exactly what nearly every architectural school professor purports to do?  Yes, this is a criticism.

Aug 6, 15 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

A consultant is a guy who knows a hundred ways to have sex but doesn't know any women.

Aug 7, 15 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Both 'research' and a good 'consultant' require very strong specialized knowledge, while architecture, urban studies, and 'sustainability' (whatever that means to you and/or the school) programs are 'general knowledge' programs of a vast field -particularly at the masters degree level.  Something like MIT's MS in Building Systems is a bit more specialized, but you'll still need years of actual practice to do any level of useful consulting (see Arup's requirement of masters and 2 yrs of exp just to start working there).

IF you know what specific focused area you'd like to research/consult in, I'd suggest having the credentials to get a job to develop a network, then pursue a doctorate to establish expertise/rigor in your knowledge.

Aug 7, 15 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

hey, i was a "consultant" for a while. i don't think it's something that you can plan on becoming straight out of graduate school. while i was always interested in my particular specialty, while i was in school, and in fact, it played a major role in my (somewhat misguided) wanting to become an architect, the actual decisive moment came through a series of job and project switches. my resume does not show everywhere I worked anymore and hasn't from the start of my career. i worked in 3 firms within one year of graduating. when i got to the third, i found a project niche where I shined and then after a while, i sold myself off to a consultant who was willing to pay more than most firms.

just my 2 cents.

Aug 7, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: