Archinect
anchor

Advice for graduates

kat-c-hart

I've recently completed my part II studies in UK and graduated with distinction and I am now trying to get in the job market. Unfortunately I did not get part 1 experience, not for lack of trying (this was back in the recession years) , so I decided to return to school when the opportunity came by.

However Now I've graduated , I'm realising practices higher based on prior Uk experience and not academic ability. I've even started applying for part 1 roles however they won't hire as well.

I guess my question to anyone with experience on the matter is what can one do to get their foot in the job market as this career is a dream for me , and I Love what we do. I don't want to throw in the towel after coming this far. Can anyone advice me?

Aug 4, 15 5:37 pm
thearchitectsguide

Hi kat-c-hart

From reading your post I am going to assume that English is not your first language. If you take a look at the Archinect post below on hints from hiring managers, one of their biggest complaints with applicants is mis-spellings and errors in their documents.

The Architecture Job Application Hints & Suggestions from Employers

Your first impression with a potential employer is often from your writing, so having a clear, well written application is essential. See if you can have a friend (preferably a good writer) proofread your cover letter and resume to make sure they are error free. Hopefully this will help get your foot in the door.

Good luck!

Aug 4, 15 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

Step 1: realize the universities are graduating way too many graduates.  To the point that inevitably most are not going to find meaningful employment in their field of study.

Step 2: use your design skillz to determine other viable options for your life/ career.

Step 3:  after you've made a few million 10-20 years later (and paid off the student loans which never yielded a ROI), work to shut down all the Universities that lied to you, took advantage of your good nature in your youth, and dashed your expectations to bits and pieces.

Aug 4, 15 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
If this is what you really want then you need to keep pushing until you get what you want. Also be a little humble and accept work even if you feel beneath it. You can leverage that into something more meaningful down the road. And yes, spelling counts. It's literally one mouse click. Good luck.
Aug 5, 15 11:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: