Archinect
anchor

Portfolio feedback?

archmpf

Could anyone please take a look at my portfolio and critique it? I made this in the 6th semester to secure an internship and had little knowledge of how to go about doing things, so I think it's a bit amateurish. I know it's not good to be honest, but I'm having a hard time on where to start. Any feedback on what to improve upon and some presentation advice would be appreciated. Applying to grad school next year so I will be making another one.

http://issuu.com/archmpf/docs/portfolio

Aug 4, 15 3:52 pm
thearchitectsguide

Hi archmpf,

I had a look at your portfolio. You may have left it off for this public discussion but be sure to clearly list your name and contact information. Usually just email and phone, address isn’t really necessary. Put these somewhere on the front and in the same location on subsequent pages, a header or footer works well.

For the first contact architecture application I recommend a “sample portfolio”, usually two to five pages long, so yours is an appropriate length. You want to be as brief as possible and it is a good idea to put your most relevant projects at the front.. When I personally review applications I may only spend a minute skimming the resume and portfolio. Other hiring managers I have spoke with say a minute might even be on the high end. Architects are always busy and since about three-quarters of architecture firms have 2 to 49 employees there will not be a dedicated hiring manager. Usually it is a senior architect juggling multiple projects and deadlines so he or she does not have 15 minutes to browse through your 825MB portfolio.

Also, keep the file size small. When an application comes in it is generally given a yes or no then passed on to other managers to make a choice whether to interview. This is always emailed around internally so keeping the file size down is essential. Each office has different email file limits but a general rule is to keep it under 5MB.

You may not want to hear this, but I have a strict rule when it comes to applications . NO online portfolios. I always get a lot of resistance on this subject. Usually because the applicant has already set up their online account, loaded their profile up with every project they have ever even thought about and sent their link to 200 offices. They then wonder why they are not hearing back from anyone.

Just use a simple PDF email attachment. This way you are not depending on the reliability of your host site or the office IT system. In fact, many firms, especially the large offices will block access and downloads from hundreds of sites, potentially including your host site.

Also by using a PDF it allows complete control over the appearance and formatting of your portfolio. Many of the free online host sites are littered with ugly advertising and pop ups. Not the greatest first impression. Printing from these sites can also be difficult, or impossible. 

Good luck!

Brandon

thearchitectsguide.com

Aug 4, 15 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
archmpf

thearchitectsguide, thank you so much for the response. Your suggestions are really helpful and I will definitely keep them in mind when I'm applying for a job. I should've perhaps been more clear in my post and specified that I'm an international student and I'm applying to graduate school for Fall 2016.

I have a B.Arch from my home country but I don't know how it compares to other undergrad students from the US whom I would be competing against. I'm specifically looking for feedback regarding my projects, graphical presentation and the design side of things. I'm gonna be starting from scratch and making another portfolio in the coming months, so I was seeking an evaluation from the perspective of a grad school applicant. Is the quality of my projects tantamount to what they expect from international students for the 2-year post professional M.Arch? Or should I take a step back and re-assess everything? Any advice on that would be appreciated. Thanks again for the tips!

Aug 5, 15 12:14 am  · 
 · 
thearchitectsguide

You're welcome. Don't worry about your competition, there is no benefit to be gained by being intimidated. You already have the projects you have finished so don't be so concerned about the quality relative to others. The important thing is what makes your projects and your talent unique? What will make you stand out from the other applicants?

Your portfolio looks a little crowded with images and text now, generally spreading your information out over more pages can help to create a more elegant composition. Keep text to a minimum if possible.

I did a quick search for some good portfolio examples, here are a couple links:

http://issuu.com/philipgoolkasian/docs/philip_goolkasian_architecture_port

http://issuu.com/mercedesha/docs/mercedesha

Notice they both use a lot of white space and don't crowd the pages. They will often use a full page spread for a high quality drawing or rendering. 

Aug 5, 15 1:25 am  · 
 · 
archmpf

Thanks again for the prompt reply. I looked at the portfolios you posted and I agree that mine seems to be really congested when it comes to the composition of the pages. I think I will redesign the layout with that mind and provide the images some space to breathe. Regarding the actual content of the projects, do you think it would help if I added some hand-drawings/ sketches/ pictures of actual models explaining the designs? I could cut out some of the text and replace it with some minimal sketches to explain them. Is it necessary to include them in the projects or a few more renders could help?

Aug 5, 15 1:51 am  · 
 · 
thearchitectsguide

For a graduate school application portfolio it is important to show a range of content – hand drawings, model photos, renderings, etc. However, you should not include these just for the sake of having different content. The important thing is for you to represent your skills and projects in the best way possible. If that means a majority of your portfolio is renderings or sketches then fine. Keep in mind you will often be judged by your worst image or project so don’t include anything you feel is less than your best work just to show a different medium.

Good luck!

Aug 5, 15 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
archmpf

Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it. Now I have a huge task in front of me and very little time, I better get started! Thanks!

Aug 5, 15 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I'm sorry man...your blog sucks.

You have like 5 posts on the importance of a good portfolio to what questions people ask in job interviews.  All could be acquired in a quick google search.

Seems like you have some good advice for people in the forums, just quit with the self promotion or up your game so I have something with real content I can gain some knowledge from. 

Aug 5, 15 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

link broken

Aug 10, 15 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: