Archinect
anchor

Applying for jobs advice

GraceC

I'll be moving to New York City at the end of the month, and living with family. I'm a recent grad, and have a year's worth of professional experience. I'm from the south, and beginning the process of applying for jobs in the city. However, since i'm not living there untill a few more weeks, I am worried that I won't be considered at all. 

-Do firms in large cites like this automatically discard out-of-state resumes/portfolios?

-What would be my best course of action? 

Thank you

Aug 4, 15 12:24 am
Spoons

Jobs in NYC are competitive and the firms are bureaucratic.  I would reach out to any potential connections you have here to get inside leads.  I just ended my own job search a few weeks ago and out of maybe 20 cover letters + resumes I got 6 interviews and 3 offers, with half the interviews coming from connections I had at the firm.  People are hiring so don't be discouraged if you don't hear anything immediately.   

Here are two options:

1:

The firms don't need to know from the onset that you are applying from out of state.  If any application asks for an address I would just put down the address you will be staying with relatives at.  

If they want to do an interview, I would tell them that you are out of town for a period but will be in NYC in a few weeks and you could then meet in person or you can Skype interview before that. Most firms don't have a problem interviewing candidates over Skype (though you might not want to).  

2:

Or you could simply prep a host of cover letters/applications to go out and send them a few  days before you arrive in NYC, knowing that you could possibly miss an opportunity waiting till you arrive. However, if you do get an interview at least you know you can be there in person.  

Aug 4, 15 1:06 am  · 
 · 
nmgeller88

I'm in a similar position. I am exploring all connections I have within the city, but are there any good resources for finding out which firms are actively hiring (aside from the job postings on archinect)? Majority of the job postings are looking for candidates with 5+ years of experience. What about those who have just recently graduated? and are more in the 1-3 year experience range?

I would also second Spoons' advice, especially option 1.

Aug 4, 15 2:09 am  · 
 · 
TheLorax

As far as finding which firms are actively hiring, this blog post from NCARB has a number of websites for job postings. A few of them are duds, but several have new postings every day. I've had the best luck with Archinect and Architect Magazine. LinkedIn and Glassdoor will also have some postings. If you're looking into some of the larger firms, they'll have a "Careers" section on their website that lists any available openings. It's worth checking those every few days if you know you're interested in one of those offices. 

Not sure where you went to school, but depending on what resources are available, you can achieve a lot by reaching out through your alumni network. My school has an alumni directory where you can search by industry and city. Certain people allow their emails to be listed specifically so that young alumni can contact them for career advice. That also helped me connect to some more people I wouldn't have met otherwise. Just make sure to be courteous and people are usually willing to help out. 

Aug 4, 15 9:29 am  · 
 · 
thearchitectsguide

The most important thing at this stage is for you to be honest with the offices you are applying. Don’t tell them you are already living in NYC when that isn’t yet true, if they ask you to come for an interview tomorrow it could turn out poorly. Just let them know in your cover letter or email that you will be relocating at the end of the month and would be available to come by their office to discuss a potential position.

Would it be possible for you to go to NYC sooner than the end of the month to do some interviews? You could explain how you will be there in two weeks and can come by the office to speak with them. This takes the pressure off of the firm, which may feel a sense of obligation if they ask you to travel. However, if you happen to be in town anyway it can make things easier. This is a technique I have successfully used in the past. Also, this way you will already have a job lined up when you arrive permanently.

Since you are just getting started I have written a few posts that might be helpful for you.

4 Reasons Why You Need a STAR Portfolio

The Two Page Architecture Portfolio

Good luck!

Brandon

Aug 4, 15 11:58 am  · 
 · 
file

Grace - funny true story.

I have a very close friend who moved to Boston after living for many years in the South, where she also earned her architecture degree. At the time she made this move, she had achieved about the same amount of office experience as you offer.

When commencing her job search upon arrival in Boston, she found the firms there were falling all over themselves to offer her a job (this being during a mini-recession). Their reasoning: a) schools in the South actually teach their students how to draw something useful to an architectural practice; and b) Southerners generally have good manners and therefore are easier to put in front of clients.

Be proud of your Southern background.

Aug 4, 15 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: