Archinect
anchor

Need any advice on meeting w/ mayor

s=r*(theta)

I'll make this quick. Wanting to position myself with one foot in politics and the other i architecture, I have finally been accepted as a final canidate on a commisioning board in my city of about 120k. That being said one of da final hoops i have to jump through is a meeting with the mayor. Any advice on how to prepare, questions i shud ask? , etc etc. Thank

Jul 30, 15 8:10 pm
citizen

Which commission?  Related to the profession?  Or just doing civic duty generally?  I'm just curious.

Read up in your local paper on the issue/topic/work of that commission.  What/ where/ who /why are the big debates?  Also, you might want to know what s/he ran on in the last election.

The position is probably yours to lose, so just look and act professional.  No farting, and wear pants.

Jul 30, 15 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

oh, the cruel tyranny of pants . . . 

The Rebellion begins now!

bumping for mayor stories. am having an honorable mayor moment myself.

Jul 30, 15 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

The secret is to get him talking, he won’t stop. Read up on his interests and study a little on a few subjects (i.e. If he likes horses, read a little to find questions) and just start asking questions about the things he did/loves or is doing…nothing deep (remember who you’re dealing with).…he might ask you something, but not much, people love the stroking too much…by the time it’s over he’ll feel so good he will be in love.

Squeeze in what you want along the way and you’ll get it.

(OK or she)

Jul 30, 15 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Human relations & housing commision.

Getting involved in civic duty is important to me but equally important is networking & connecting with individuals who can possibly help me further develop personally & professionally, 

Jul 30, 15 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I met with the Lord Mayor of Sydney in March - research, be attentive, listen and speak when appropriate to relevant points

Jul 31, 15 12:57 am  · 
 · 

Not sure what housing commission responsibilities are but beware potential conflict of interest between work and civic responsibility. Also be prepared for an absolutely thankless position in which the best result - as described to me by a local politician -is invariably a deal where nobody is happy. 

Jul 31, 15 10:06 am  · 
 · 

As Carrera said, the key to it being a relaxed meeting is to let him/her speak about topics that s/he likes to talk about. if you share a common interest that is somewhat related to your work - example, our mayor is a bicycle enthusiast so I could ask him if he likes the bike trail near my house or the one near his better - s/he will relax.

But, as much as you want him/her to be relaxed, YOU need to be absolutely respectful of the power difference. The less you talk the less you have opportunity to say something out of line!

But on the other hand, this is just another human. S/he is worried about farting in YOUR presence, too.

Jul 31, 15 10:50 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Thanks everyone for all the advice, meeting went awesome!!!! and I was appointed the position!!!!

I just want to add that he was definitely not interested in talking about himself, infact right out of the gate he asked me "why do i want the position?"

but never the less, i was prepared, so thank you all

Aug 3, 15 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: