Archinect
anchor

Finishing a basement

shellarchitect

So I'm getting ready to finish my basement this fall.....

Every house I can think of has a door to the basement, either at the top of the stairs or the bottom.  We have one at the bottom now, which I'd refer to remove, so that the basement and main level are more connected. (70's ranch type home)

Is there a special reason for this door that I can't think of?

Jul 29, 15 3:02 pm
geezertect

Usually because the basement was initially unfinished, and the homeowner wouldn't want to look down the stairs and see the raw concrete floor and unfinished walls.  It probably also shielded you from the noise of the washing machine and furnace.  Unfinished basements can also smell a little dank.

Jul 29, 15 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

adding to what geezer says:

There could be an energy code component to the thing also, depending on how the envelope is insulated.

There is no fire code issue, like a garage however.

Jul 29, 15 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

heating. 

Jul 29, 15 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Rats climb stairs?

Have fun hauling the drywall downstairs...build some neat 3x3 wood panels in the garage and have your wife carry them down, a lot easier.

Jul 29, 15 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

"rats climb stairs" - Finishing the basement has been part of the plan for  awhile now, but a couple weeks ago our dogs found a chipmunk in the basement and although I was able to rescue it mostly unharmed, I had to spend a good amount of time sealing small holes along the sill plate.  That task has evolved into insulating the joists, which turned into full insulation, elect, drywall, etc.

I originally wanted to remove the door to make getting the drywall in way easier.  Looks like it will go away permanently based on what everyone's said here.

Actually thinking about using small plywood panels for the ceiling (easy to take down if needed, screw directly to wood trusses)

Jul 30, 15 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Most of the time a door helps prevent cool air from your AC settling in your basement during the summer months. That is why it is preferred to have your door at the top of you stairs leading to the basement. Remove that door and you will notice that your AC will run quite a bit more than if you had a door. You should save quite a bit more on energy cost if you keep a door.

Jul 31, 15 12:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: