Archinect
anchor

Iceberg Homes

go do it

Here is a documentary on iceberg homes in London. I may be a little long but it is well done I think and worth the time investment.

Iceberg homes as you will see in the film are homes that that have more square footage below grade than above. The insanely rich are building some exorbitant ego basements and makeing an insane profit along with Architects and builders.

Does anyone have any experiance with these in London or somewhere in the U.S.

Jul 29, 15 11:53 am
Schoon

I had a laugh at the guy at the beginning simultaneously wearing an ascot and a hardhat.

Jul 29, 15 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^Very interesting program, thanks. Understand that it’s a square footage thing in London, but generally what is it about people and basements? Here in the Midwest they are coveted, a house without a basement won’t sell…..guess we once were “Cave” people.

Jul 29, 15 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

insane profit along with Architects

This phrase doesn't make any sense; but on the subject, this is also a trend in the USA, resort communities wanting to preserve the small scale character of old towns, are seeing double basements for pools and basketball courts and all sorts of shenanigans.

Jul 29, 15 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

^I don't know but that one architect looked pretty comfortable driving around in his Audi.

Jul 29, 15 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

well, insane profiteers don't drive audis, the bar here is aston martin and above. seen a couple of rr phantom convertibles this summer.

Jul 29, 15 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

watched the first 2 mins...start the revolution!!

Jul 29, 15 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

utterly depressing from an economic standpoint, but it leads me to imagine what cities will be like in 50, 100, 200 years....

layer upon layer of infrastructure, habitable space, etc... I can picture new infrastructure going in both below and above existing grade. Sort of a mash-up of the Seattle tunnel project, the Highline, Chicago's elevated trains and the multi-floor outdoor markets that exist in much of Asia where you may have a habitable section that is not just the 3-5 meters above and below grade, but is 300-500 meters above and below grade.

Jul 29, 15 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: