Archinect
anchor

Is Sci-arc a good school for me?

JDKam27

Hey everyone! 

I'm moving to Southern California in about 8 months and am looking to go back into school to get into the architecture field. Any advice on whether or not I'm heading in a good direction would be a huge help.

I received my BFA in illustration at an art school in New England last year. I've been considering getting a masters for some time now, and I've narrowed it down to a masters in game design or architecture. And after doing some research on both fields I'm thinking that architecture better suits my strengths and career desires.

That being said I'm really interested in the M.arch1 3-year program at Sci-arc (Southern California Institute of Architecture) and I was wondering if anyone in the field thinks that this school would be a bad match with my art/design background. 

I was also considering New School of Architecture and Design in San Diego, but from what I've heard, Sci-arc sounds like a more promising choice.

I'm eager to get back into school and ready to give it 150%. So if anyone could help guide me in the right direction that would be amazing!

Jul 29, 15 12:25 am
no_form
Go for a campus tour at sci-arc and see if you like it. No guarantees you will get in. Unless you know something the rest of us don't? You need a back up plan. If you know someone working in the field stop by their office and see what it's like.

Compare office and school life. Read the job postings on here. Notice the skills they are looking for. It sounds like right now you are good at hand drawing and probably using Adobe CS. there is so much more to architecture than just visualization. Ask yourself if you're interested in any of that other stuff.
Jul 29, 15 9:53 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

check out gnomon school if you interested in game design

Jul 29, 15 9:56 am  · 
 · 
zonker

true - many who want to go to SCI-arch to learn the latest parametric software should really consider a career in game design where you can specialize in advanced modeling 

Jul 29, 15 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: