Archinect
anchor

Process tips?

Blocks

I'll start off by saying that I'm not an architect but a product designer with some experience in spatial design, and I have a fair understanding of the design process. I've been asked to do a preliminary design for a residential building, which will be used for the initial application process, and then will be passed onto an architect/structural engineer at a later date.

The plot is steep and quite inaccessible at the moment, and my current plan is to replicate the plot using a height data map (EA LiDAR Height Data) and the sun path in Sketchup, and then to design from that.

I'm looking for any workflow tips and useful information to help me tackle this.

Jul 28, 15 4:37 pm
chigurh

Think about product design then take away reason and accountability.

Jul 28, 15 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

They teach this stuff through web forums these days?

Jul 28, 15 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What about Lego blocks?

Or, you can tell your client to just hire a qualified architect because when they eventually do need one, they will re-do everything you're trying to do.

You can also import a 3D dwg file with elevations/contour lines directly into sketchup and add a mesh terrain if you really want to replicate the site. About 5 mins of work if you have a site plan and flat-bed scanner.

Jul 28, 15 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

"Or, you can tell your client to just hire a qualified architect because when they eventually do need one, they will re-do everything you're trying to do."

Everything he / she said

Jul 28, 15 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Blocks

Non Sequitur, we will be working with an architect further down the line, but I am working alone with the developer for the initial design stage. He's an experienced developer and also has a lot of experience working with architects. Thanks for the dwg tip. I'll need to check if I can get sufficient height data resolution from a site plan. Personally I can't see a way of designing it well without replicating the site, but I'm open to suggestions.

The plot is located amongst other dwellings, on the side of a hill in a rural area, and with lovely views. I want the design to really make the most of those views. I was considering using 3d data/geometry of the surrounding area and buildings to help work out any obstruction lines. Would anyone recommend this, or know of a better alternative?

Jul 28, 15 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

im not trying to be a Richard here, but...............

"Or, you can tell your client to just hire a qualified architect because when they eventually do need one, they will re-do everything you're trying to do.

Jul 28, 15 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Blocks

The developer has discussed the development with his architect, and this is how they want to proceed.

Jul 28, 15 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

Blocks,

There seems to be a yellow flag here, like the inaccessible site. If you aren't familiar with grading a site or engineering footings for a steep slope, you should consult an expert early on, or someone who knows an expert. 

Added to that- If someone came to you and said "I've got designs from someone who is not familiar with how material stresses or manufacturing processes work- let alone ergonomic factors, but is in a creative field too" how much of their final proposal would you keep?

Jul 28, 15 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

An industrial designer asking architects for design tips? [bites tongue, HARD]

Your client is either looking for innovative broad strokes or trying to light a fire under his architects (probably both). In any case technical details are not your problem, that's what the phase two group is for. Assuming of course that you come up with something that tickles his fancy.

Jul 28, 15 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

karim rashid?

Jul 28, 15 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: