Archinect
anchor

How do you manage your tasks and projects?

rbradley_92@aol.com

Hi all,

My name is Richard and I am a student of architecture and design here in the UK.

I am new to the forum so I'd like to start out by saying hello to everyone.

For my first topic I am keen to get an idea of how architects manage their projects and daily tasks.

Do you guys use pen and paper, to-do lists or project management software?

if you have any advice on how architects out there in the professional world manage their projects, I would be keen to familiarise myself with such methods in preparation!

All the best,

Richard

Jul 28, 15 11:54 am
Carrera

The way I managed things is I gave everything to someone else:)

Jul 28, 15 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just remember things.

No need to write long lists or fiddle around with software.

Jul 28, 15 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Like this, just without the white tie.

http://www.transitionministriesgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/juggling-chainsaws-youtube-i4.jpg

Jul 28, 15 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i do not remember things, as a general rule.  i have found that when i do remember things, i get in trouble

i have evernote on a tablet.  also syncs to clouds and desktops and such.

Jul 28, 15 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Wing it.

If I forget it, it wasn't important.

Jul 28, 15 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

hang them all on a tack board, when i come in the morning i throw a dart and which ever one the dart hits that's the one that gets ignored for the day

Jul 28, 15 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

if its not important it ends up on a post-it note. if it is important i am thinking about it and that could be up to 5 projects cycling through. so lets say i have 15 projects that day on the burner , 5 i care about, 5 i write down to get to, and 5 i try and avoid but they usually involve pesky clients who call and email all day.

Jul 28, 15 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Know your target delivery dates (What? When?).

Backtrack and set interim progress milestones from that.

Figure out what needs to happen to meet those milestones.

Use that as your task list (write it down if your memory is unreliable or it's more than seven tasks).

Prioritize the tasks (PROTIP: do not skip this step).

Start working you way through the list in order of priority (highest first, lowest last).

Periodically check to be sure you're on track.

Jul 29, 15 11:59 am  · 
 · 
rbradley_92@aol.com

Thanks for all the responses chaps, I have to say the chainsaw juggling did raise a smile!

Thanks sharmanandini and gwharton for your insight.

Would I be correct in assuming that most architects simply use their memory and pen/paper to jot down notes to keep themselves organised? With the exception of a few who seem to have a system or some software to help them out?

Does anyone use ArchiOffice? I have done some googling and that seems to target architects in particular. 

Jul 31, 15 10:01 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Far more important than any tool you use (software, etc.) is a set of good habits. Developing those habits is not tool-dependent. You can do it just as easily with pen-and-paper or even tying pieces of string on your fingers as you can with a gold-plated CMS. Don't worry about software until you've established habits which require more sophisticated tools to streamline them.

Jul 31, 15 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: