Archinect
anchor

Is tempered glass required in entry door?

jcrarch

We are having a 40" x 80" wood door with sidelites built for a current project. The door will have 15 inset glass panels that are 8" x 8". The sidelites will have 5 glass panels in each. I was fairly sure the building code required tempered glass ( couldn't find the section in the code) so I went down to the city to check with the local plan checker. I was told the glass doesn't have to be tempered. Then I went to the glass manufacturer to order the panels and they told me that city is wrong, "they don't care" "what do they know" and that the glass manufacturer would get a $50,000 fine if they supplied the glass for this door. I need to find the section of the building code that specifically addresses this issue so I will know the answer for myself. Shouldn't the city know the correct interpretation of the code? How often are they wrong? 

Jul 26, 15 5:38 pm
JeromeS

Of course the glass needs to be tempered.

I think it's in Chapter 3 of the IRC: look for hazardous locations.

as to the second question: have you seen the work for which your colleagues recieve building permits?  Code officials generally suck 

Jul 26, 15 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If IBC 2012 is the applicable code in this location, it's in 2406.4.

If a different edition of IBC is in effect, or if you're in a location that uses NFPA instead, or if this is a residential project under IRC, it will be a different section, but all of those codes still include the glass in doors, and in sidelites if the sidelights are within a 2'-0" arc of either edge of the door (and how could they really be side lites and not be within 2 feet of the door?)

It's possible, but highly unlikely, that there could be a local amendment.

It's also possible the official thinks this glass falls under "decorative glass" - in which case there is an exception - but there is also a definition for "decorative glass" in chapter 2 which pretty much limits it to leaded glass with no functional purpose.

Jul 26, 15 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Based on the language used by the OP, building official could be correct. You need safety glazing. Tempered glass does qualify as safety glazing, but it is not the only type of glass that qualifies; laminated glass does as well.

So answering the question, is tempered glass required in the door? No. Is safety glazing required in the door? Yes. Can you get safety glazing that is not tempered? Yes.

Good info from Bloopox.

Jul 27, 15 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ Good points, remember that tempered glass can’t be cut after tempering, requiring that openings be field measured before ordering the glass which can cause delays…also takes longer to get, always try to consider using laminated for field set glass, safer, cheaper, faster IMO.

Jul 27, 15 11:50 am  · 
 · 

It was my understanding that laminated glass was more expensive than tempered glass. With laminated you're paying for two pieces of glass, the interlayer, and the process to put them all together. Tempered is just one piece of glass and the heat treatment process.

Jul 27, 15 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ can be, but in a simple single pane interior application not, remember that time & logistics outweigh the cost of materials, the cost of “glass” is more in the frame & install.

Jul 27, 15 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

For all your code questions.

http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/forum.php

Jul 28, 15 11:18 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

Yes it is required to be safety glazed in some way, usually tempered glass.

Apr 15, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

dudes, asked and answered- like a year ago!

Apr 15, 16 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: