Archinect
anchor

Ramp Graphics in Plan

A.I.

Hey everyone.  I've looked through all the standards literature we have and I cannot find a definitive source on what the standard way of representing the direction of ramps in plan view actually is.

Do you draw a triangle from one end to the other where the tip represents the top?  Or does the tip represent the bottom?  What about curving ramps?  Is it just a line in the center with the direction and word 'up' or 'down' written?  Does each firm/architect have their own method?

How would you annotate the direction of ramps shown in the attached image for example?

Jul 26, 15 10:23 am
Carrera

There are Drawing Conventions for this but you better add the words UP/DN unless you want a phone call. Elevation notes are essential as you’ve shown.

Jul 26, 15 11:34 am  · 
 · 

The tip of the triangle goes at the top of the ramp, but as Carrera notes it's best to add an arrow with UP/DN annotation for clarity.

Jul 26, 15 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

I would not draw a triangle but an arrow with up or down and a slope, a thin line separates each change in slope and slope direction unless it is a curve in section. I would avoid a symbol that touches the edges of the ramp and that might look like a break in the slope or the junction of another plane and confusion might set in

Jul 26, 15 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Zbig

For CDs you should add spot elevations at top and bottom, and a note on the arrow stating: RAMP/SLOPE 1/12 or something similar if you are working in metric.

Jul 27, 15 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Sharky McPeterson

We draw an arrow (at the center typically, unless in conflict with handrails or something else) of all ramps. The arrow always points down the ramp, and it is labeled "DN." On the detail sheet, the slope of the ramp is sometimes included as well.

Jul 27, 15 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: