Archinect
anchor

Architect Discount - is it ethical to ask?

nordmilk

I'm currently a student of architecture - not yet certified or degree holding. I am curious if it is unethical to some degree to ask an architect to purchase furniture (a big ticket item) on your behalf to get their architect discount? Would you as an architect feel offended by such a request or be unwilling to oblige? 

Jul 25, 15 11:05 am
chigurh

ha...architect discount.

Jul 25, 15 11:12 am  · 
 · 

architects will sometimes get a discount, but it's more common with designers like interiors/furnishings contract people. is it unethical?: kinda. 

the reason for the discount, typically, is that contract people get the piece at one price, add their markup - part of their compensation for picking the right piece - and the end user gets it at the typical price. 

not always. a discount offered may be just promotional for members of the design community. 

are you close with the architect you'd like to ask? if it's just an acquaintance, you're probably just using them. if it's someone close to you, sure, you could ask, but you shouldn't at all be offended by a no. that person will need to think about his/her position relative to the vendor, whether there is any ongoing business relationship they want to maintain, whether they think it's an ethical request, whether they'd want to use such a discount themselves, etc. 

Jul 25, 15 11:42 am  · 
 · 

Funny reversal of the typical situation. LOL

Back in the day there was a fire in one of my father's beach houses. After the rebuild the centimilionaire client - literally retired at age 30 from the family business with a huge income - called the office looking for a resale number so he could refurnish at wholesale and avoid sales tax. As an aside this guy is without a doubt the unhappiest person I have ever known. 

Jul 26, 15 9:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: