Archinect
anchor

Quick Moment of Venting - Procuring Work - Crazy Clients

null pointer

My favorite part about procuring work: When the obviously unstable private residential client goes on a railing diatribe about "the jews around here" for 5 minutes straight without taking a break to breathe.

Needless to say I hung up on that person, and refused the job.

Sometimes I hate procuring new work.

Jul 26, 15 2:09 pm
Carrera

The worst part of what we do is that it involves other people.

Jul 26, 15 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Of course, when those other people send us checks, that tends to make it better...

Jul 26, 15 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

A nice check can make up for a lot of frustration, but there is no check big enough to make up for an anti-Jew rant. FFS.

Jul 26, 15 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

The check was obviously not going to cut it.

Last week I instituted a policy that if you're not willing to compensate me for the first hourly meeting, and then try to haggle my hourly rate (which I'm trying to get a handle on; outside of my specialty, it's hard to command a flat fee without a track record of smaller projects - most of my prior work is huge). That potential client tried to haggle the hourly, questioned the pricing on the initial meeting and then went on the rant. I was like... checkbox, checkbox, fuckyouandthesecheckboxesyoucrazyperson.

Jul 26, 15 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Carrera has it right:  other people suck!

Jul 26, 15 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

I wonder how the firms that did work for Mr. Trump must feel, do you think they feature their work for the Donald on their webpages any more

Jul 26, 15 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

Hadid would have gladly taken the job. So would BIG and Rem. I wonder if Frank would ... he's doing the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi ... the UAE doesn't recognize Israel.

Jul 26, 15 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

You never really do work for Trump, you do work for developers that buy the name.

Source: past life.

Jul 26, 15 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Null - My father had a pejorative phase for the act of people negotiating a lower price (he would have been 96 in October), just find it funny, your guy hates the noun but loves the verb.

Costas Kondylis was Trump's go to guy, it's a sad story that 99% of architects can relate to.

Jul 26, 15 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Null,

For what it is worth I once worked a public meeting where an individual at my breakout table went on about how he didn't want "those people" in his neighborhood- with a smug grin. As an employee, I wasn't in a position where I could say no, so my bosses (the office really) got an earful the next day.

Jul 27, 15 12:14 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

"A nice check can make up for a lot of frustration, but there is no check big enough to make up for an anti-Jew rant."

Everybody's got to draw their own line in the sand on what they can live with and sleep at night. But there are some pretty big checks out there, and they make up for a LOT.

Jul 27, 15 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

ASGG had something to say about Trump's sign in Chicago: http://chicago.curbed.com/tags/adrian-smith

Of course, Trump had something to say back. 

Jul 27, 15 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: