Archinect
anchor

MMM Corones museum by Zaha Hadid opens today

The new museum by Zaha Hadid Architects opens to tghe public on July 24, 2015.
I have been invited to the press preview yesterday, and I have taken some photos of the museum to illustrate an article on Inexhibit.

I post here some images, if you want the full article is here: http://www.inexhibit.com/case-studies/corones-museum-zaha-hadid-gazing-mountains/

Jul 24, 15 9:56 am

Gorgeous pictures. The building looks like it holds up well to the site.  Having recently spoken about how frequently ZHA's projects seem to have an unrefined relationship to the ground plane, it's nice for me how much this building looks nestled into the hard surroundings.

That little metal strip along the edge where the rocks meet the wall, though...oh well. From a distance it looks lovely, and the views out are spectacular. Nice project.  But who hung those paintings on the walls?!? They need to go away...

Thanks for mentioning Casa Malaparte, Riccardo! I thought of it immediately, too.

Jul 24, 15 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Don Kashane

Casa Malaparte: Godard's Contempt (Le Mepris).... (also Bardot, but whatever).

Jul 24, 15 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Hi Donna,

I agree with you completely. The architecture is outstanding, the exhibition is quite poor instead.
I suspect the true exhibit is the landscape around (Patrick Schumacher from ZHA, who was at the press opening confirmed this to me), and the openings looks like huge TV screens where the show is represented by the mountains. If so, the building is absolutely right and in the right place.
About the pictures, I am quite proud of them! Today I received an e-mail from ZHA asking me if they could use them for their press release, that's a great satisfaction for me, after all I am an architect, not a professional photographer...;)

Jul 24, 15 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

first photo is awesome. looks like a really nice little project.

Jul 24, 15 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Teardown.

Oooo look, I can almost see Liberland from here!
Jul 25, 15 9:38 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

that thing is grotesque on so many levels...this whole car panel nike swoosh molded shoe look sucks.  The windows look like they are stuck in a lump of dough reminds me of the humans in the movie "wall - e"

Jul 25, 15 11:10 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

this Liberland is real? https://liberland.org/en/about/

Jul 25, 15 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Don Kashane

The interiors look ok, although a bit "traffic tunnel with overhead fluorescent lights" feel, but I mostly agree about the exterior; on appearance alone, I prefer the modernist austerity of something like the Malaparte house to the swoopy molded-car-body appearance of this.  That cantilevered balcony is cool, though.

Jul 25, 15 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Liberland Über Älles!
Jul 25, 15 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

doesnt seem to leave much space to show any exhibits. cool building though, more as a mountain viewing platform than a museum. it has a kind of rustic look and smallness not common in Zaha's work.

what is access to the museum like - do you have to hike up to it?

Jul 25, 15 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: