Archinect
anchor

Getting in to architecture

Jessicat

I've recently graduated with a degree in Civil Engineering, but I'm finding that I'm more interested in the design side of things and I'd really like to get into architecture. I'm not sure that starting again from the beginning with a degree in architecture is the best way to go - does anyone have some advice for how best to move from civil engineering to architecture? 

Jul 24, 15 11:02 am
curtkram

practice architecture as a hobby and civil engineering as a profession

Jul 24, 15 11:17 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

civil and landscape seem more aligned...pretty sure you can do anything that a LA can do and much more if you are a civil...

Jul 24, 15 11:42 am  · 
 · 
akshit.gupta.372

Hi, I am also a civil engineering graduate from BITS Pilani, India. During the college I did a thesis on Building Information Modeling (BIM), and got really interested in learning architecture after my bachelors.

Well, This is my research so far (concerning non-architectural background students) :
USA and Canada have M.Arch 1 programmes (3yr in US, 3,5yr in Canada) which are offered to students with non-arch background, and is also accredited to the Board of their respective country. 
In europe, there are MSc programmes in arch engineering, sustainable design, urban design, etc. which I think are good options, but these aren't accredited programmes (that is, it's difficult to get a license for practicing architecture after completing these programmes). I couldn't find any college in europe that offers M.Arch 1 like the ones in US and Canada.

I didn't apply to any for the 2015 intake. I am trying to find an internships first, but no architectural firm would keep me for zero experience in this field. 
So i am looking for research internships in foreign universities. A 6-month research position under a professor of architecture, or sustainable designing, or urban design, using BIM; And maybe develop a portfolio through this (which is mandatory to apply for an M.Arch).

Jul 25, 15 6:27 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

get your PE then go back to grad school if you feel inclined, work in structures in the meantime, preferably an office that works with good architects so you can get some exposure to design.

Jul 25, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: