Archinect
anchor

Best way to walk through portfolio during interview?

acsookying

What's the best way to explain your portfolio during a webx (screen share) interview?

Jul 21, 15 7:06 pm
thearchitectsguide

Is the employer requesting to do a webex interview? I have done several interviews over webex and they are usually a nightmare. There is always some tech problem on their end or your end. If they insist on doing a screen share, make sure you send them a pdf of  your portfolio ahead of time. This way if it doesn’t go well they have something to look at.

Problems aside, try to keep each page of the portfolio as simple as possible. Like a Powerpoint presentation, more pages with less content per page is easier to explain. Be sure to speak slowly and as clearly as possible. I wrote a post on the Top 5 Architecture Job Interview Questions that may be helpful for your Webex.

Also just a tip, make sure to disable any pop up email alerts, weird desktop backgrounds, etc. Since they can see your entire screen you wouldn't want an embarrassing pop up.

Good luck!

Brandon

Jul 22, 15 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
acsookying

Thank you!!

Jan 21, 16 11:54 am  · 
 · 

I tend to treat the portfolio as just something to guide the discussion. The work on the page will (hopefully) speak for itself, so it's up to you to tell the rest of the story that might not be visible through the images. Your role in the project, problems you faced and how you solved them... all that good stuff you want to highlight in interviews. Think of it as more explaining your experience as opposed to explaining the portfolio. 

Jan 25, 16 9:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: