Archinect
anchor

Cover Letter tips

grandjean

Does anyone have advice concerning the content cover letters? I'm applying for work as a junior architect, and anything would be helpful. I am making sure to keep everything brief and to-the-point. 

I have also seen job posts which request a desired salary in the content of the letter. Is there a right way to do that?

Thanks.

Jul 21, 15 2:27 pm
chigurh

first party to state a number loses

in this case you either get the job at menial pay or they just pass you over for somebody that will work for peanuts.

ask for what you are worth, don't settle.

Jul 21, 15 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
thearchitectsguide

Hi grandjean, you are correct, you want to keep your cover letter as short as possible. Really do your reasearch on the firm you are applying. I wrote a recent article that might be helpful for you on targeting your application to a position: How To Write The Perfect Architecture Resume. You want to be sure not to sound generic, as I assume you are applying to more than one office.

As for the salary question, avoid listing a specific salary. Either do not include it at all or just say something like "I am flexible and open on my salary requirements depending on the specific role and responsibilites. I would be glad to discuss more in person once I have a better understanding of the position".

Good luck!

Brandon

Jul 21, 15 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Just explain your situation and relocation parameters (if applicable), then bullet points outlining how I’ll get my money back if I hire you, don’t make me try to figure it out….skip the bullshit about how much you love us.

Jul 21, 15 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Emily Parker

Yeah talking about the Salary is a BIG NO. I would say focus on landing the job interview. Your cover letter should try to get you to that interview not to the job straight away. If you shoot for the moon its a bit impractical and your prospective employer might over look all that you have said..

Also you are in a creative industry. Present your resume and cover well. Like these examples for instance: https://creativemarket.com/3Angle/605445-The-Complete-Resume-Collection

Jul 5, 16 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Tex_arch

If you are applying to online postings, get ready for a lot of black holes. Many jobs are posted for legal or other reasons, already have an inside candidate, have already been filled, in other words, don't exist. 

The best way to find a job is to network. ANY kind of personal connection is way better than none. Look through your LinkedIn contacts' contacts.

Jul 8, 16 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: