Archinect
anchor

Potential Changes to Copyright Law: Implications for Designers and Architects?

jmanganelli

Hi All,

I found this interesting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDoztLDF73I

http://www.copyright.gov/orphan/

What implications, if any, do you think that it may have for designers and architects in general and smaller architectural practices in particular?

Jul 21, 15 5:36 am

Thanks for bringing that up. From what I see, this can have unfathomable consequences and I hate to see this be in private sector registeries who can be bought and paid to not register works of some and register the work to big corporate interest.

I see some serious ramification problems.

I will contact AIBD's Steve Mickley. I encourage AIA and all associations and groups where copyright matters. Sure, we need to improve copyright matters but with copyright as we know it completely being replaced including dissolving of the copyright office as we know it, as a possibility then we have a serious problem that can have so much levels of ramification that we end up having absolutely no legal recourse to protect our creative works.

What kind of bureaucracy would we have to go through private sector registries which are for-profit businesses which will make a lot of money off our registration and who is going to govern these registeries so they don't end up selling your rights to the highest bidder and pocket the money and leave you with no protections.

There is all kinds of nefarious acts private sector registeries can do. Haven't we learned how much of a clusterf--k public/private sector or privatization of things that used to be done by government. 

I rather keep what we already know then jumping into this ad hoc god knows what the hell will happen prospect of replacing copyright laws and changing the whole system into something totally alien. How is copyright protection an actual protecting the rights of copyright holders?

Jul 21, 15 6:31 am  · 
 · 

Ok.... it is going to take time to digest all this. There are elements that I can find reasonable to some extent but then there is a lot of stuff still trying to figure out. 

We definitely need to have a U.S. Copyright office and all works need to be deemed copyrighted whether registered or not. There can and should be improvement for registering at nominal fees for collections of works that are individually copyrighted items but not paying like hundred(s) of dollar per item to register. It just get registered into the database so works which government monitored private sector contracted registeries can help facilitate. One impediment is we may have sketches which under law is protected by law but we don't want to spend like $35 or $55 fee to register it or in some cases $100+ fees. If there is stuff we can simply digitize and register into a bulk collection of works associated with a single work that you do register but the supporting work is also protected like the draft design. 

My biggest concern is what the ramifications may be. Lots to think about.

Jul 21, 15 6:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: