Archinect
anchor

Need Help for M.Arch!!

aimarch

I am interested in applying for M. Arch, as well programs that are similar to architecture. 

Here is my background:

Standing: Junior Standing; Plan to apply for M. Arch next year

Major: Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Design

GPA: 2.6 (Approximately 2.8 for graduation GPA)

Portfolio: Yr 1 & 2: Architecture, Yr 3 & 4: Environmental Design

Planned Schools:

Wentworth Institute of Technology: M. Arch

MassArt: M. Arch

Boston Architectural College: Arch, Interior Arch, Landscape Arch, 

Roger Williams University (RI): M. Arch

Rhode Island School of Design: Landscape Arch

Back-up Schools:

Suffolk University: Interior Arch

UMass Boston: MS in Urban Planning and Community Development 

Boston University: Master of City Planning 

Jul 20, 15 2:03 pm
placebeyondthesplines

2.6?! 

Jul 20, 15 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
chi-arc

2.6-2.8 GPA is definitely on the lower side BUT a well put together portfolio and good recommendations can make up for that.  I would tell you to focus on the portfolio as much as you can.  Build relationships with professors/employers that could write recommendations. If you want, post your portfolio on here for feedback.

Jul 22, 15 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

I thought most grad schools required at least a 3.0 GPA (I know mine did)

Jul 23, 15 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
ccarry

Many Schools do have a 3.0 requirement but not all of them. Definitely look on the websites of the programs you are looking at to make sure they accept lower GPA's. The general consensus about the GPA vs admissions I seem to be hearing is that It doesnt matter as much as you think it would. Strong Portfolios can overcome weaker GPA's. My advise is to take some Studio art classes. Get out of your comfort zone this year and your senior year of College and push yourself to create some quality pieces for your portfolio that will set you apart from other applicants.

Good Luck!

Jul 24, 15 11:00 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

But why do you have a 2.6? And what kind of outstanding portfolio material do you have to make up for it? Remember, you're in an pool of applicants who also have outstanding portfolios AND actually took their undergraduate education seriously.

Whatever work ethic got you that GPA as an undergraduate needs to be radically reconsidered if you want to survive graduate school. 2.6 is abysmal.

Jul 24, 15 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

placebeyondthesplines,

Wentworth, MassArt, BAC, and Roger Williams University aren't prestigious enough to warrant the type of competiton you're alluding to. If these were Top 20 programs, sure the OP would find most of their competitors have the qualifications you've mentioned.

OP, the only way you'll get into any of these schools is if you have some outstanding portfolio pieces with some references/letter-of-recommendation-writers that you're close enough to who can vouch that you're really more intelligent than the average 2.6/2.8gpa-achiever, and that your grades primarily suffered because of subjective grading criteria (unless your transcript shows that your poorer grades were in objectively graded classes outside the architecture/env. des. department, like geology, cultural studies, literature, etc.)

Jul 26, 15 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@BR.TN

That's a valid point. RISD isn't happening, though, and whatever led to that embarrassingly shitty GPA needs to be seriously addressed.

Jul 27, 15 12:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: