Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Fall 2016 Prep

Ebinehita

Hi everyone.

I know this is quite early (or is it?!!!@#$$@), but I've just been really anxious in terms of preparing applications for M.Arch 1 for fall 2016. I feel like I'm currently in a vacuum as I don't really know anyone else who's going through this process (I am from a non-arch background) and it would really help me out (or at least calm my nerves) to know what everyone else has been up to in prep for application season. And make sure I am not falling behind! :)

So, feel free to share questions about where you're applying, portfolio related issues, stats, GRE (omg I should really get on that...), personal statements, recommendations and general freak outs.

- To kick this off, I wanted to know if anyone knew the general reaction to portfolios that have    been bound by the applicant.

- I am an international student, and after applications have been submitted, I will be leaving the country. Is it common for applicants to be called for interviews at certain schools? And if one is invited to do so, how bad will it be to tell them you can't make it? Are interviews common enough that it would be advisable for me to just stay in the US? Or are skype interviews / phone interviews a thing?

Peace ya'll.

Jul 18, 15 6:07 pm
JBeaumont

Most M.Arch programs don't do any interviews.  If they do, they usually allow exceptions or alternate methods for those outside of a stated radius. 

There are always threads on here about how to bind or cover one's portfolio.  As long as it meets the size limitations and anything else stated in the requirements, it doesn't count against you if you bind your portfolio yourself - but it also doesn't matter much how creative you get with the cover or binding - no matter what you do it's just not that important.  Focus on the content.

Portfolio and recommendations are very important. So is the personal statement.  GPA and GRE are less important - as long as your GPA isn't under the minimum stated by the architecture school then GPA and GRE aren't usually major factors one way or the other.  But yes, you should get the GRE done and out of the way.

Jul 18, 15 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

@JBeaumont Thanks for the advice! 

I watched a couple of videos online about binding and it looked really easy, so I tried it out a few times and the books came out really nice, so I thought, why not save a few dollars here and there cuz this whole application process seems like its going to leave me with an empty bank account after haha.

New question: So I currently have an internship, and I am working on a project. (And by working, I mean just creating presentation renderings, photoshop stuff, etc. etc. I was not directly involved with coming up with the design or developing the idea.) But I do, now and then, contribute when we have pin-ups and such.

My employer gave permission to include the project in my portfolio. 

So, do you think it would weaken the portfolio if I include it, knowing fully well that I contributed little to it, and then have to mention all of my colleagues that worked on it as well, or, should I include it because it shows I have some professional experience?

Thanks!

Jul 20, 15 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

bump

Jul 31, 15 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

If you didn't contribute substantially to the work, you shouldn't include it. Even if you painstakingly explain the limited scope of your contribution, putting the work in your portfolio implies that you were heavily involved (because you are claiming some credit for the project's success).

If you're talking about a rendering that you did yourself, and you credit it appropriately, then by all means you should include it. 

Jul 31, 15 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

Thanks for the advice @placebeyondthesplines! I did do the renderings! :)

The thing is, from my understanding that the portfolio should be personal and all, I am kind of put off by the prospect of including the work that I contributed just nice renderings to. 

So I am leaning towards leaving that project out.

Just finished GRE! (yay!) and it was an annoying experience. But I am happy enough with my scores. Now I have time to focus on the portfolio! 

What's everyone else up to?!

Aug 4, 15 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Just make sure it is extremely clear that the renderings are your work, not the design.

For example, if your portfolio is organized by category (sketches, sculptures, paintings, etc.) you should include a "renderings" spread or two for that work. On that renderings spread you should still credit the designer of the work depicted in each of the images (even if it gets redundant).

Aug 5, 15 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

@placebeyondthesplines Great idea, that might work out nicely! Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Aug 5, 15 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

So what's everyone doing?! Deadlines are fast approaching!

Anyone started with / familiar with financial aid applications for international students? Will appreciate some insight!

How are the portfolios coming along????? Where are ya'll applying to?

Oct 25, 15 1:47 am  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

Hey, I'm done with my GRE. Working on my portfolio.Should take another two weeks. How's your progress. I'm applying to Cornell, Yale, U Cinn, UCL, TU Delft, NTNU, Pratt, UC Berkeley and UT Austin. What about you? PM if you want to talk/share application anxiety. I'm an international too.

Oct 25, 15 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

Still working on portfolio, but almost done! I am trying to condense it a bit because it's a few pages over thirty right now. I'm applying to Columbia, IIT, Yale, Harvard, Taubman and Cornell. 

I'm finding it hard to hand in the portfolio because people keep sending feedback (which I am grateful for), and I'm not sure which to take or reject. (Which is also why I'm terrified of posting it on here) :(

Main thing now is to finish personal Statements and such. Also going to first open house tomorrow (at Columbia). Will you be able to attend any open house?

Oct 25, 15 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

@Ebinehita you're still in better shape than me. And yes, portfolios are exhausting. I feel ya. I will not be able to attend any open house unfortunately. I'm on another continent. :P I'm not applying to Columbia even though I like their M AUD program because the tuition is a bit too expensive for me and I have heard scholarships are virtually non existent. I decided to apply to only two ivys but I was really torn between Columbia and Yale. Do share any insights you gain and your impression of the open house.

@yazZ planning to apply to the MSc Urban Development and Resilience program. My former employer is faculty there. I believe the course is taught in English.

Oct 26, 15 7:07 am  · 
 · 

Currently undertaking the same laborious task. Taking my GRE in a couple weeks (freaking out right now). I'm in the deep end of portfolio design, and updating/cleaning up some old projects. Also, I'm currently a senior so I'm still taking my senior studio, and busy with an internship as well. SO OVERWELMING! Schools that I'll be applying to are Harvard, Yale, Columbia, UPenn, UCBerkeley, UCLA, WashUSTL, and UVA.

I'll be posting a link  to my portfolio soon to hopefully get some feedback and comments!

Oct 28, 15 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

@akanksha The open house was great, professors were really nice and made the extra effort to answer questions. I wasn't there for long cuz I had to go back to class, and I mainly went to meet with one of the professors writing me a recommendation, to get his input on my portfolio. 

The only pitfall I should  mention is probably the studio spaces. They are really small and cramped up, but it's NYC–EVERYTHING IS CRAMPED. (Then again one could argue that that helps with collaboration and stuff) I remember they used to have these nasty cubicle things for each student, but they renovated the studios recently and knocked down those things, so now they have these long wide desks for all the students.

Apart from that their M.Arch program's really solid and they have great travel opportunities. There's also many opportunities to learn from (and maybe work) with great practicing architects (which I've really enjoyed from NYU, and I'd love to keep having those opportunities) cuz they have their offices based in NYC. 

I agree with you on the tuition issue. Columbia would have been at the top of my list if it wasn't for that. But there are these TA and mentorship positions that the current students spoke about, so would probably look more into that.

Also...#stressed. :D

Oct 30, 15 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: