Archinect
anchor

application of ZBrush in architectural workflow

mega_pointe

Greetings,

I'm looking for some guidance on how to learn ZBrush specifically for its application in an architectural workflow. I am extremely impressed and interested in the product of students at SCI-ARC and am interested in their workflow. Could any SCI-ARCers out there give me advice on what resources you used to learn ZBrush? Also, could you describe your software workflow? I imagine there is still the utilization of Rhino in the workflow, but if you could elaborate it would be really helpful. Thank you in advance!

Jul 17, 15 8:09 pm
Bench

No offense - but is Zbrush still used in architecture? For real?

There's a guy in my M.Arch class who graduated about 6-7 years before I did, and he said Zbrush was used marginally at that time that he was doing undergrad. But I've never actually seen it used now.

I'd recommend one of Rhino / Maya / 3DS. Sketchup if its a very simple project, Revit if its going to be constructed.

Jul 18, 15 1:46 am  · 
 · 
Novice

Mega - I assume you saw a project on super architects and want to make similar drawings.I saw a great piece of work several months ago that got me to look into zbrush as well. Here's the deal in terms of workflow....

Zbrush for architecture is a post production tool for 3d models. Essentially you create a model in rhino, maya, revit....whatever... And import it into zbrush to apply 3d textures...not bmp maps like in basic max operations. You can also render directly in zbrush or export back to a preferred engine like vray and preserve those rich textures that create such lovely shadows. 

Im definitely not an expert on any of this. This is just what I learned through research and testing. My experience is limited with zbrush but I don't see it as a "must" in your software arsenal. 

Jul 18, 15 4:01 am  · 
 · 
mega_pointe
Bench and Novice - thanks for replying. Novice, as you guessed, I saw some work on superarchitects and SCI-ARCs Instagram. I'm mainly looking to use it for modeling textures. If this is something that could be just as easily done with maya I would probably use maya because of its animation capabilities. For me, it's just about being proficient in a number of softwares so I have more "tools" available.

I'm still interested in finding out what resources are most typically used in learning zbrush for modeling architecture. I have access to zbrush tutorials on Lynda.com but it would be nice to know if there are more applied tutorials out there or if people just used peer-to-peer skill building.
Jul 18, 15 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: