Archinect
anchor

To design a bridge

The broken english is making it a little hard to follow. 

I walked 700 meters in a rural area before. Hell, I walked several miles before in rain, wind, hillside terrain, sometimes not so gentle landscape of devil's club and blackberries.

If it rains, how do you manage rain runoff and channel it?

Jul 19, 15 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Richard I'm not trying to bully you off the site.  I'm saying stick to what you know.  You seem pretty obsessed with rules and regulations and initials after your name - so I assume you know that AIA, AIBD, NCARB, etc. all have codes of conduct to which you've agreed, which prohibit misrepresentation of your skills and experience.  When you talk about doing structural calculations for imaginary projects, you are misrepresenting your experience.  What I'm saying is that there are probably other forums where you could talk about actual work experience - for instance your custodial work - and not be violating those rules.

Even if you've really done any structural calcs for projects that have actually been constructed, you're talking about residential decks in Oregon, when the OP is asking about a half-mile bridge across a river in Africa.  Your input isn't relevant.  Stick to posts related to your real-life skills and experience.

Jul 19, 15 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

Then frankly by your logic, you don't belong talking about this topic either since you do not belong talking about bridges in Africa but wait.... where the hell is Africa mentioned by the OP on this thread?

If you hold me by this so called "stick to posts related to real life skills and experience" which means, FORGET your college academic bullshit. All of it is bullshit with no real projects since it is academic. So YOU AND EVERYONE else shall also stick to ONLY posts related very closely to projects you have had a client request you to do. 

Since the last time I checked, Architects aren't hired to do bridges very often so you are not to talk about bridges unless a bridge was actually constructed and built that you have designed. Otherwise, it is simply hypothetical and you can't help or talk to the OP about this.

So there, OP should go to an engineer's forum.

Jul 19, 15 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Richard I've designed over 200 projects that have been built, including a few different types of bridges.  Nonetheless, I didn't provide any technical information in this thread, because my bridges are not akin to the type of bridge the OP is discussing. 

I represent my experience accurately - I don't exaggerate my abilities and experience - and I stick to discussing project types, firm types, etc. with which I have closely related professional experience.  I believe most on this forum do.  You do not - that's the problem.

Jul 19, 15 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

I have the knowledge and skills to design any structure of any size. If you know how to draw, draft and write, you have the skill to take theory into practice on a medium. I know how to do that. I have the knowledge because I studied the books. I don't need to sit through lectures by a professor that repeats himself or herself 15 times each class and repeats what he said from the previous class session 2 to 3 times while also wasting the minutes by talking about life experience. 

In addition, if I don't know something, I research it right then and there DURING projects. I do NOT need to sit through 3 months of inefficiency when I can read up on the subject matter gathering the information I need in one or two afternoons. If a project is regular, I would naturally retain the information to a level of recall. Odd ball projects that comes once in a blue moon, that is something I can read-up on. 

As for technical information, anyone with reading comprehension skills will know that I had not provided ANY technical information regarding the OP's bridge or any particular bridge in particular. At most, I stated a pedestrian walk bridge of short spans over a creek is more like decks and load requirements would be similar to residence per requirements of code. I also stated that is quickly becomes more performance based as the spans get larger which is obvious that prescriptive code requirements are pretty much out the window. 

Then again, I'm not just drawing and doing pretty rendering. Every line and every decision is founded my knowledge of structural engineering sciences which is one of the areas I personally taken a considerable amount of time studying and learning. 

Here's a few examples: (Although dated: The science is still valid to this day because the equations used are essentially the same as it was in the 1920s but rest assure... I read through more recent books on the subject matter as well.

https://books.google.com/books?id=x5cLAQAAIAAJ

https://books.google.com/books?id=iKBIAQAAMAAJ

https://books.google.com/books?id=f0Y7AAAAMAAJ

Try doing the math without computer, calculators or slide rules. Simply, paper and pencil. When I do structural calculations for projects, that is exactly what I have to do and show.

BTW: This isn't 1st year stuff. After all, in college courses, you would be required to be in your second year math with not only COLLEGE-LEVEL Calculus, Algebra but Statistics, Trigonometry and all that fun stuff. 

As I said, this is stuff even I prefer to have engineers work with then to go through all that mathematics by hand. The B.O. and public officials would require to show the math since I do not have an engineer's stamp which means I can't just use a software program to do the job which engineer's tend to use because they don't want to sit there for 8+ hours a day for several days just to calculate the math for every single component that requires to be calculated. Computers are math machines and engineering is mostly an applied math as is a large bit of physics. Because of that, computers and software that has been written, tested and proven can do 90% of that grunt work of engineering.

I can probably write a computer program to do the job for me BUT it isn't showing how I arrive at the results and I would have to have the program show it completely in essentially in long hand. Not only would I need to demonstrate that I am using the right equations for the types of load and so forth.

As someone said, there isn't anything simple about bridge engineering once you get to a point in terms of spans that fairly simple systems are not enough.

Considering the OP is supposingly working with an engineer, he is mostly look, aesthetics and all that simple shit. The hard shit is being handled by the engineer(s) who does the hard mathematical work and making sure the structure is going to be sound.

Jul 19, 15 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

You're skirting the point, as usual.

When you wrote "When I perform the calculations for sizing footings, structural members and so forth, I plan for sufficient I look for more than the minimum conditions. I know will have to rework foundation plan..."  etc you implied that you have real world experience in designing footings, foundations, etc.  But you don't.  This is misrepresentation of your experience, which is prohibited by AIBD, AIA, and NCARB codes of ethics.  Stop doing that.

Jul 19, 15 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

When I was referencing a deck and simple short span bridges that spans a creek, we are basically talking about a wood beam bridge. A deck is essentially that if you think about it. Joists are basically small dimension beams. Sometimes you use larger dimension beams with joists in between. They are limited in span of the beam. Some beam can be solid wood beams, glulams (which are pre-engineered and in many cases can be a used in lieu of a solid timber because you need dimensional depth that can not be achieved easily with conventional timber. 

Then you have steel beams. Each have effective span capabilities. I don't need to get into that. 

At 700-ft., the OP's bridge is well beyond a simple beam bridge if 700-ft. is a continuous span without intermediate piers supporting the deck. 

This is where it is moving into trusses.

Jul 19, 15 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

How many decks have you designed that have been built?

Jul 19, 15 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

I was referring to a deck in that case and I am working with that as it is with a current client.

Jul 19, 15 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

A handful of them. I've designed a deck to be built by the students at Clatsop Community College which have been built. The last I recall, it was still behind the MERTS building. I designed a number of them for clients. I have one for a current client. 

I design the decks, the footings, structural design, calculations, etc.

Jul 19, 15 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
green man

The service live in this part of the world in different,but the maintenancy is still topically.To channel it i thought about gutters with no recycling,cause too expensive,however my solar lighting walks.

This is a real project. I know it is not every days we work on a bridge,but you must keep serious,it is not a college bullshit to use your words.Each time i see a FEED of a bridge i always see inside architectural plans,so tell me who must really work on a bridge?I still say everyone.

Interesting,pedestrian bridge,even cyclable bridge,why not?I don't like pylon but considering 700 meters long?why not just if it is nice.Lol

Jul 21, 15 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
green man

Why Richard don't speak?Richard i did not say anything to annoy you.That was not my aim.

Jul 27, 15 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I think you guys need to build a bridge between your differences...hug and make up...ok thanks...

Jul 27, 15 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
green man

Right,well Said. This is a nice bridge but i don't see cars.Why a bridge to seat down and talk,to take advantage of the trees when you are in the tropical forest? Instead of you i would imagine a pool in the creek,while the cars could continue to cross the river.I will even call this pool the Creek platform.In this way people could walk as i have said and go to the pool only reachable through the bridge. To resume first you take the bridge and walk,after secondly somewhere on the bridge you take a deck and go to the pool. Unfortunately, my bridge does not need all of that. Although i will cover one or two places,and i will put the chairs.

Jul 29, 15 10:40 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Why a bridge to seat down and talk,to take advantage of the trees when you are in the tropical forest?

Because in America we generally experience nature from the seat in our SUV or 4wheeler. 

Jul 29, 15 11:16 am  · 
 · 
green man

All right for 4wheeler.

Before Creek platform, i think now we need smart solutions for our bridges or at least our bridge decks. We need solutions that can make bridges more durable in terms of service life and more respecful of environment.

That is why i think about polymer concrete as construction material.It can make bridges more lighter than the other bridges made up conventional concrete, it has a total resistance to sea salt, it does not need steel,it is totally watertight and it is green.

Aug 1, 15 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
green man

A classroom building near the bridge.

Aug 8, 15 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

ugh?

Aug 8, 15 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Needs a few shipping containers.
Aug 9, 15 11:49 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Needs more golden ratios.

Aug 9, 15 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
green man

Nice rendering.

Aug 10, 15 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Ugh!, I say...

Aug 10, 15 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just love the WC layout.

Aug 10, 15 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
green man, what are the eco friendly materials in this classroom building? How does the building relate in an ecologically friendly way with the local site? Right now you have a box with materials stuck on it that looks like it belongs in a parking lot in Iowa. How would you like to be a student in those spaces? Where are there places for play and quiet study? How does the organization of the furniture relate to teaching styles or how students learn in different ways? There are a lot of things that need to be considered but not showing up at all in the drawings you've shown us. I don't know if you're serious or not about this building.
Aug 10, 15 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

No self-respecting Iowans would use a building with an entry model after a Lucite marketing award.

Aug 10, 15 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
green man

Thank you NS, rob_c these are good questions.

Jerome is it your award?

Sep 20, 15 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
green man

One of my bridges

Sep 20, 15 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
anialmak

Hi, The owner did not know the rebar patterns of the deck and was guessing as to its configuration Cable Stay inspection. As the deck aged and began losing it ability to carry its intended loads the bridge owner need to know the rebar pattern so that a more accurate load rating could be performed.

Nov 13, 18 5:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I know this a zombie Jesus thread, but still, thank you spam bot for digging this back up. It’s pretty damn good.
Nov 13, 18 7:29 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"It won't fall i work with engineers."

I want this on a t-shirt

Nov 13, 18 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If you're selling them, I'll be a customer.

Nov 13, 18 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: