Archinect
anchor

Where would you go with a travel grant?

NFucci

Hey all!

Each year, my university gives a $6,000 travel grant to a graduating M.Arch student. Naturally, there's a proposal process, one of which is selected based on the idea as well as how well the proposal is written.

While I feel comfortable with the writing portion, I'm still playing with the whole "idea" part. One thing I'm really considering is to record the entire affair and compose a documentary-style presentation. It would give me something to reflect back on years later, and would also, in my opinion, give me an upper hand in winning the grant.

That being said... what would you guys do if you got a travel grant? You could go anywhere you wanted and research any topic.

Jul 13, 15 12:00 am
citizen

My name's not Grant, but I'd take the money and go to Prague.

Jul 13, 15 12:18 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Brazil. Cheap, fun, cheap fun, and lots of great somewhat underappreciated modern architecture.

Jul 13, 15 3:03 am  · 
 · 

Isn't this supposed to be your proposal? I think crowd sourcing your proposal is not the way to go- unless you give me half.

Jul 13, 15 11:16 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Antarctica, extreme dwelling

Jul 13, 15 11:20 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Asia, your money will go furthest there. Europe is for later in life. 

Jul 13, 15 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
NFucci

JLC - I don't know about Antartica, but I was considering Iceland!

Marc - Indeed, you're right! But if I've learned anything over the years, it's to be open to new ideas. I thought I'd open the floor to a broader spectrum of opinions =]

LITS - Not a bad idea... but do you suppose it's difficult to get around? I've been to Europe, and I've felt that a lot of people spoke English, and even if they didn't, words were close enough that I could pick up on what people were saying. I've always been a little afraid of Asia. But maybe that just means that's where I ought to go.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys! Keep 'em coming!

Jul 13, 15 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Tibet....maybe concentrate on the massive earthquake.  Then their is Syria....it might be a challenge to document all the buildings being destroyed.

Jul 14, 15 8:31 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

You got it, it's not the easy trip.

Therefore, it's not something you'd likely do with your partner and 2-3 kids, while you have to let your dog stay with the neighbors and only have 12 vacation days a year.

China, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Tibet(if you can get in), Eastern Russia, India, Japan, Korea(north, if you're feel adventurous), Nepal, etc etc etc. 

Most Asian countries should be explored slowly, so a travel grant after school is the perfect time. My last winter break before my final semester I went to China for a month. I knew zero mandarin, had never been out of the country without family and that trip changed my life. I was very fortunate to have explored a great of Europe in middle/high school.  After graduation I had a job offer in Beijing and it was the jolt that made me who I am both professionally and on a personal level today. 

Walking to morning prayers in surrounded by monks after camping under a sky lit by the milky way is something you never forget. Paris, Prague, Rome, etc are great but they're easy. You can go to London on a long weekend from the east coast any time. 

Safe travels!

Jul 14, 15 10:05 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

vision quest.

Jul 14, 15 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
beatnikick

personally i want to go to Finland.

Jul 14, 15 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Iceland, yes, Qaqortoq.

Jul 14, 15 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: