Archinect
anchor

10 years absence

louiemertyn

Hi guys,

I would like to ask some advise with regards to my worries about going back to Architectural World. I finished my bachelor of Science in Architecture 1993 in the Philippines. i started from draftsman to assistant architect then later I was assigned to purchasing department until I was promoted to manage a property. I became Property Manager which engaged more on managing the operation inside the building, repair and maintenance and administration. As a Property Manager (Commercial Building) I had engineers in different field. But of course I  personally managed the carpentry works, interior planning, and selection of furniture which I will recommend to the owner/client.

Year 2004, I decided to resigned and joined my husband and my kids. To have time for the family which I haven't given any thoughts before. From 2005 - 2009 I abandoned my career as an architect and focused mainly in the family. Year 2010 - 2014 I entered in Culinary world (Hospitality they called here in Australia), Food fascinate me and give me a chance to put design in what ever food I create. But this year, I feel I miss my architectural world. My worries is my credential are not recognised here in Australia. I might go back to do some studies again based in Australian Curriculum and Standard. I have to study autocad again since I haven't used it for so long. I'm doubting myself that I can't do it??? 

Hope someone can give me some advise. 

Thank you.

Louie

Jul 10, 15 11:42 am
s=r*(theta)

I assume you are in you mid to late 40's, that being said, whats the worst that could happen? sure it will not be easy, & you will probably be surrounded by 20yr olds most of the day, and expected to do all the "grunt work & menial task until you are up to speed which could take you a few years. i imagine building codes have changed significantly in the past 10 years as well. & it may be a bit of a challenge landing a job in your mid to late 40's with little to no cad or any software experience, but it is not impossible, you just have to be realistic & ready for the challenge because i imagine there will be alot of "NO's" before you hear 1 "yes"

Jul 16, 15 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
louiemertyn

Thank you for a wonderful advise. Everything you said is true. Actually, I'm a bit scared to enter this new world...

Jul 19, 15 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

It always seem like the grass is greener on the other side.

Supposing that you do get a job, but what happens when you're faced with the "grunt work and menial task" that theta mentioned? I'm going to assume that you're going to think back to your time in the hospitality field and miss it.

In my opinion, it's not worth the work, struggle and pain to go back to the architectural world. The thing is that you entered the culinary world in 2010 and worked there for a reason, could you have gone back in architecture in 2010? I'm going to hazard a guess that you probably could but you didn't. 

The effort is too much and the reward too little for you to come back.

Just my two cents.

Jul 20, 15 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: