Archinect
anchor

Quick Question: M.Arch 1 Portfolio

Laurila

Hey,

I'm working on my portfolio for M.Arch 1, and I wanted your opinions about including calligraphy work into it. Undergraduate degree is in Arabic, and when I studied in the ME, I found a calligraphy teacher, so I study with him--back and forth over the internet. 

So, if you opened a portfolio that had Arabic calligraphy, what would you think about it? Positive thoughts? Roll-your-eye type thoughts? Or unimpressed thoughts? And I know, to really judge, you would have to see it. But I'm curious about your general thoughts. 

(And it would fit into the theme of the other pieces in my portfolio, which I could describe, the drawings and sketches, as being very line-centric.)

I ask all of this quite earnestly. Thanks, y'all. 

Jul 3, 15 7:09 pm
placebeyondthesplines

Initially my response was a hard eye-roll, but this has potential to be pretty badass if presented extremely well.

Jul 4, 15 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

To be honest, it wouldn't mean anything unless you're coming from an Arabic country or cultural background. If you are, there are schools that discretely seek for diversity (i.e. GSD and most of the other ivy-league schools), and it could work out to your advantage. Personally, I think of it as a risky thing to do because it wouldn't actually make your projects any better, while it opens a possible weak spot for criticism depending on who looks at it. 

Jul 5, 15 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Oh wait, are we talking about calligraphy as text throughout the portfolio? Because that would be totally embarrassing and stupid.

I thought you meant a spread or two showcasing your calligraphy work, which has potential to be pretty interesting.

Jul 7, 15 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Laurila

Oh no! I meant calligraphy in a spread or two. I would never do a gimmick or themed font. 

And thompson's brings up a good point, because I'm definitely not of Arab heritage--just a white (and gay) guy who majored in Arabic. But in learning calligraphy, I find myself more appreciative of form as a design principle, and form as it relates to cultural values, among other questions it has brought to my attention. 

Could I mention it in my statement of interest, and not include it in the portfolio? I feel hesitant to do that, like it's a break in theme. 

Jul 7, 15 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

My bad for the misunderstanding--In that case I think it would be perfectly okay to put them in. It wouldn't hurt to include them in your artwork pages, unless there's a page limit to the portfolio and you have better works to show. 

Jul 8, 15 12:17 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

If you include it, it should go in the portfolio, and I'd give it one spread at most. But really, if it's not exceptionally badass, you should leave it out. 

Jul 8, 15 1:07 am  · 
 · 
Laurila

Thanks for the perspective, y'all. Its just what I needed. 

Jul 8, 15 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: