Archinect
anchor

Foster + Partners Employment

Hi Guys, I am quite interested in working for F+P and I hoped I might get some comments, inside views and/or advices on this topic. I would appreciate any help and support as I am taking this very seriously. Do you think that having a recommendation from within is a good start or simply applying as many times as you can will do? Do you believe that creating a website (where you can present your work in a comprehensive way) is also a must for any application sent to F+P or maybe a strong Cover Letter is what I need? Thank You!

Jul 3, 15 10:09 am
natematt

I doubt it is much different from any other firm.

The value of internal recommendations depends on the circumstance. If they hardly know you and think you are a decent candidate for a job at a different office, it's not going to be a big help. On the other hand, probably the best advantage you could get is a strong advocate at the office to which you are applying.

Having a website is not a must, but if your applications are digitally based it is usually beneficial.

It's always important to have a good cover letter, though it is probably not going to be what compels them to hire you.

Jul 3, 15 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I wonder about them, trying to hire all the time in cupertino...high turnover is a bad sign...maybe they just need a lot of people...dunno. 

Jul 4, 15 10:29 am  · 
 · 

Garo, F +P probably uses temp agencies to fill temporary project based needs, I assume this based on my last two years of work experience as a temp working at large firms sometime long stints sometimes short, but if you do a good job and you make and maintain connections with a VP or Senior Associate you should have an opportunity to land a full time position. Lots of large firms working on huge projects use temps to work on the production of the construction documents, often this phase last a few months but requires lots of hours and firms don't have the luxury of scheduling projects firm wide to maintain a constant production staff as things are boom and bust with little notice.

One thing to think about is F+P is just one firm and it is hard to know if they are staffing up or down without an inside connection, they probably are a small part of he total number of people given jobs each year.

best of luck

Peter N

Jul 4, 15 11:50 am  · 
 · 
natematt

@peter

I don't think that typically applies to junior staff. We only do specialized positions as temps in our office. I could see why it might work for upper level staff too, but I can't see much reason why someone would hire a temp without solid background experience.

Jul 5, 15 3:57 am  · 
 · 
thearchitectsguide

Hi Garo,

I have written several articles on this topic. Since I am a former F+P employee this post should helpful:

How I Was Hired By “The Best Architect in the World”

Good luck!

Brandon

Jul 21, 15 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

that is a lame blog post...

what was your experience there?  you say former employee, couldn't cut it?  pump n dump?

Jul 21, 15 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Kozumelle, early on those connections in firms are usually people you went to school with or sometimes your former professors, TAs, etc.   That's why people keep advising you not to give up on your classmates and to try to patch up the poor relationships you describe with those people, whether or not you return to your M.Arch program.   

When I was interested in working at a particular firm I would see whether I knew anyone there and give them a call to see if they could give me any inside information about how they liked it there and what they were working on.  They don't always have to be people who were your best friend, as long as they remember you and don't hate you! Sometimes they were people who graduated a year or two before or after me.

Later in your career it's the same thing, but your network expands to include all your former coworkers, consultants you've worked with, people on committees you're involved with, community members, everybody you know a little in any capacity.

You wrote awhile back that you don't need your classmates because you're very good at networking.  But now it sounds like you don't really have any network.  Stalking strangers on LinkedIn isn't too likely to get you a job with a starchitect.  Being nice or at least bearable to your classmates might.  

Jul 22, 15 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@Kozumelle

Yeah, along the lines of what is said above. Even having light connections, such as being recent alumni from the same school can work, but randomly finding someone isn't going to be very helpful. If you don't know them that well, it's not going to help that much. Former classmates, teachers, coworkers, and personal friends/acquaintances will go a long way. A lot of large firms even offer incentives for recommendations if the person being recommended gets hired, so most people are glad to push for you if they know you and like you.

Jul 23, 15 1:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: