Archinect
anchor

Possibilities for 1st Prof. M. Arch outside of the US?

Hey all,

I have an undergraduate degree in English, and am currently finishing an MS degree in Media Studies. I am interested in acquiring a terminal degree, and am not totally into a PhD. I am interested in digital art, interactive stuff, and architecture, definitely with a focus on technologies / materials. I am interested in a few programs in the US, specifically MIT and SUNY Buffalo, most of all.

I am interested in moving to Europe for some amount of time. There are some great MFA programs abroad, specifically in London that I am interested in, but I am still trying to find out if there is a possibility for getting a Masters in Architecture abroad without having an undergraduate background? I am relatively certain that it is not possible, but was hoping for someone to have some insight on this. I am interested in Europe, and specifically the UK. Bartlett and AA School seem like great places.

Would love any insight :)

Jul 2, 15 1:53 pm

Academy of Arts University is one option.

Jul 2, 15 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
beatnikick

Yeah, but isn't this in San Fran?

Jul 2, 15 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

I'm not too knowledgable on this because I've never lived in Europe, but from a logical standpoint I would assume that if European students without architecture backgrounds can get accepted into European M.Arch programs, then international students can as well?

But you also confused the hell out of me by throwing down terminal degree, anti-PhD, MIT, SUNY, MFA and London vibes. You're so-all-over-the-place that I can barely make out a coherent objective. You want to live in Europe and preferably England, to maybe study architecture, or maybe study fine arts, but maybe you don't want to live in Europe so that you can maybe choose between MIT or SUNY. Good luck with your essays for admission.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jul 2, 15 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
beatnikick

Well, I'm not entirely sure that European / any students can get into M. Arch programs in Europe without a background in Architecture. It is sort of a feature or possibly glitch of the American education system, that we don't specialize so much. 

At least, this is my understanding of how Architecture education works in Europe...

Jul 2, 15 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
beatnikick

Also interested in hearing an argument for NOT an m. arch for someone such as myself coming from a background with media / visual art. Like, I am interested in the digital fabrication MA at the Bartlett.

Jul 3, 15 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: