Archinect
anchor

Laptop advice

lg21

I will be starting school this coming fall and I'm looking for a laptop that is obviously strong enough for all the programs that I will be required to use (Adobe, AutoCAD, Rhino, etc.). I know my laptop wont be my saving grace, and that soon i'll need to invest into a desktop, but with limited space in my dorm, I do have to stick with a laptop for at least the first couple years. 

I was looking around and was told that this Asus computer was a good choice (https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G501JW/) but I don't really want to commit without having heard other opinions. 

What laptops work best for architecture school and which one do you guys recommend? 

Thank you all in advance, and sorry for the obviously repeated and annoying newbie post!! 

Jun 30, 15 7:25 pm
Stasis

Lenovo W series. 

i am still using W520 from 2011 but still runs everything well.. Though I have been out of school more than 8 years, I still use the programs you mentioned frequently.  With workstation graphic's card, AutoCAD and Adobe suites work very smoothly.  If I am to go through the school now, then i think i can get through the architecture program just with this laptop.

It is comparable price to ASUS one..   

That being said,  this laptop isn't light (5.45 lbs) and battery life isn't that great, though the latest model would be much better than what i have. 

You can get last year's model from ebay for even cheaper price.  

Jul 1, 15 12:15 am  · 
 · 
austen

You'll be fine with anything that has enough memory and processing... lenovo, mac, dell, they all make great and cheaper laptops

Jul 1, 15 2:10 am  · 
 · 
Jackfrost19

I think you'll be happy with the Asus, I would be, with i7 processor, you should have no problem, i bought a yoga 11S, and i love it. its light so i take it everywhere, at home I connect to 3 decent monitors and run autocad or revit, not at the same time, but I have  an i5 and 4g of memory, but it's fine. although as a student you cant live with a 11" screen 9-5, so you lug the extra 1.5 lbs. I would research the models track record for problems and the companies for service. You can be dead in the water as a student because no one will get back to you. 

Jul 5, 15 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
floorplan

Hi,

Youc choose laptop based on your reqiurements.

Which model or series you would choose i stotaly depend on your choice and requiremet.

by jig,

http://www.3d-architectural-rendering.com/3D-Floor-Plan.html

Jul 6, 15 3:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: