Archinect
anchor

Stucco install issue

gruen
Hoping that someone w stucco experience can help me w an issue.

I am the architect. We have a GC and a masonry contractor.

We are repairing a stucco wall. Substrate is concrete. Have removed loose areas and patched. The original stucco has a rough finish.

The mason attempted to match the original pattern. However the new stucco's surface is "open" or "porus" - it sort of looks like CMU. I'm concerned that water will enter this surface and freeze-breaking the stucco again.

Mason is saying this will be filled w paint. I don't feel we should rely on paint for this. I've wondered if block filler would work.

Am I overthinking this?

If I'm right, is there a standard or spec I can point to? Did not write a spec as this is minor patching.

Jun 29, 15 1:29 pm
proto

what climate are you in?

i wouldn't seal it up with a surface-applied membrane if there's nowhere for trapped moisture to channel out or breathe out the back. It will want to breathe. You don't want bubbles.

If there is a water management plane, then an elastormeric paint should be able to bridge pores (and the cracks that will ultimately open up)

a local (independent) stucco contractor should be able to answer some of your questions

(and no really good rules for a repair-in-place except get a mfr's rep or industry trade rep there to inspect and approve the install method).

Jun 29, 15 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Scrape that shit off and install a responsible finish.

Jun 29, 15 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

What do you mean by "responsible finish"?

Jul 1, 15 1:28 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Something not prone to water infiltration, bad detailing mishaps, and litigation.

Jul 1, 15 1:50 am  · 
 · 
gruen

Thank you everyone. 

Pete, it wouldn't be useful for me to suggest what you say - it's a historic building, originally done with stucco. Of course, I would prefer to have complete control over the wall detailing, but that's not always possible. 

We've gotten the mason to admit that there are flaws in the install, he will be repairing. 

The install is stucco straight to concrete, which is the original install and acceptable. Again, I'd prefer to control the entire wall, but it isn't possible. 

The main issue is that stucco surface texture is really a matter of opinion - there are many stucco surfaces that are fairly "open". These are best with an integral color, not paint. Of course, this wall was originally painted too. 

Jul 1, 15 10:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: